Howdy from Minneapolis, MN

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Howdy from Minneapolis, MN

Postby Falcongirl » Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Howdy all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Himself and I are building a foamie/standy in June, which needs to be ready for camping by the 2nd weekend in July. Crazy? Maybe, but deadlines make great motivators. :D I have some health issues that have impacted our ability to camp, namely nerve damage in my back/neck, and an inability to handle heat or humidity without AC. The nerve damage has been around for years, but the broken internal thermostat is a new and unwelcome issue. I used to love heat and was the person who'd bask in a closed up black car in the middle of summer, but now I swell up and wilt if I can't take frequent breaks to escape heat and humidity. Anyway. On to the process so far.

The requirements of the camper were thus:
Must be able to be towed by my Isuzu Rodeo, #3500 gvw limit on vehicle/tow package.
Must be able to fit a queen, or near queen, mattress without having to perform feats of gymnastics to enter/exit the camper.
Must be able to exit/enter the vehicle without bending or crouching.
Must be large enough to handle an AC unit.
Must have wheels and tires capable of handling highway speeds.
Druthers:
I'd like an indoor potty for winter camping. Preferably with enough space to make walls around it for some sort of privacy.

After looking at prices for small, lightweight campers and wincing, then looking at small, less lightweight and older campers and finding them full of things I didn't want (like kitchens), we started looking at building one. :frightened: Himself loves the idea of a teardrop, and if left to his own devices, that's what we'd have. My problem with them is that I'd have a hard time getting into/out of one without crouching or bending, and since that's the reason I can't use a nylon tent, it seemed rather silly to pay to build the exact same issue into my camper. I found this forum a few years ago and have been following the foamie development threads with great interest. Especially 'The Big Pink' and 'Foamstream' threads. My excited exclamation of, "Honey, look! We could build an Airstream Bambi out of foam!" was met with a decided lack of enthusiasm, mainly because he also read the Foamstream thread and saw how much work went into it. :lol: He's very much of the KISS philosophy, but I like curves and demanded the front, at least, be curved for assistance with wind resistance. I eventually settled on the shape of the non-Foamie in this thread. Hybrid Rimple? Hybrid Breadloaf? Not sure what to call it. Mostly standard upright walls with a small curve in the front, and Himself wants to put the point on the back. Yay built in drip ledge?

Queen size mattresses are 60"x80", so the minimum interior width had to be 5'x7'. To enable me (5'3") to stand up, the interior height had to be at least 5.5", but Himself is 5'10", so 6' would be better. While we could fit sleeping quarters on a 4'x8' frame, if I wanted room for a bathroom and privacy walls, it had to be a 10' frame. My butt is just not small enough to fit into a sub-12" space! :lol: The final dimensions we worked out are roughly 6'Wx10'Lx6'H. Which, I think, barely qualifies it in the 'tiny' category.

Found a used heavy duty homebuilt trailer on Craigslist, 4'x10' welded frame with 15" tires. The deck and sides are made with solid oak boards, so it's super heavy right now. The sides are coming off and we're discussing whether to leave the board decking in place, since we're building out the 6' floor over it, or whether to tear it out to minimize weight, to be replaced with 2" foam and a sheet of aluminum or fiberglass underneath as a rockplate. It'll make me cry a little to take the oak out but I'm sure we'll use it for something else, and it'll be nice to see what it reduces in weight for the camper.

While trying to figure out how to attach a window AC unit that wouldn't allow the access port to also be a thief entrance, we looked at portable standalone AC units. New ones were spendy, so back to Craigslist I went, and managed to get a decent 9000btu standalone unit cheaply. Have been testing it in my 14'x9' bedroom, and it's worked a treat to dehumidify and cool the air enough that I can sleep.

The plan for the camper thus far is not as thrifty as it could be, mostly due to how short a period of time we have to get at least the base camper built. :? This year, it'll probably just be a foam box with a 68" RV door in it, maybe a window if I have another successful Craigslist hunt, and a thick slab of foam to sleep on. Eventually it'll have a bed that splits into two bench-style couches, but that is unlikely to happen in the next month.

I really appreciate all the information on this forum. Everything from learning the proper way to kerf foam, to 'The Mix', to hitch weight distribution ratios, even down to what types of fabric/glue/primer work best on foamies, I learned it all here by reading the hundreds and hundreds of 'try it until it works' posts. I read them, Himself read them, and by virtue of the information on the forum, when I said, "Honey, can we do this? And by 'we', I clearly mean 'will you build one of these for me?" he said yes 8) So.. here we go on our very own foamie adventure! :wine:
Falcongirl
Teardrop Builder

Re: Howdy from Minneapolis, MN

Postby pchast » Thu May 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Welcome! :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby HarleyCamper » Thu May 26, 2016 9:09 pm

Welcome

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
HarleyCamper
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Falcongirl » Fri May 27, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks, all. Nice to see so many people from MN on the forum. :)
Falcongirl
Teardrop Builder

Postby noseoil » Sat May 28, 2016 8:28 am

Good luck on the build! Sounds like an auspicious undertaking in that time frame, but you can do it if you plan well. Come visit us in Tucson in the winter, summer might be a bit warm for your liking. Welcome from the Baked Apple!
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Mon May 30, 2016 11:14 pm

Howdy Falcongirl and Himself...
Welcome to the Forum and the world of trailering... From a fellow Minnesotan :applause:

I like the idea of building and converted a special built Cargo due to my time frame... We enjoy the camping adventures and seeing new places... Good luck to you and keep us up to speed with your build... :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :) :) :)
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi Falcongirl,
You said, "After looking at prices for small, lightweight campers and wincing, then looking at small, less lightweight and older campers and finding them full of things I didn't want (like kitchens), we started looking at building one." What are your plans for prepping meals, snacks, etc.; are you going to leave the galley out altogether, put it outside or make a super small facsimile of a galley inside?? You spoke of the inside bathroom area, what happens when you want a sandwich at night? Just curious, mind you... Because I usually turn in earlier when camping, I sometimes get the munchies at night...
;)

I built a small 20" deep galley in my CC and it fits the trailer width... contains a 2-burner gas stove, small sink, and room for 5-gal jug of water, a 30 qt. extreme cool ice chest, and plenty of storage. Some folks prefer not to cook in their rigs, but I choose to live in it like home... We all have our own needs and wants...

BTW... Have you checked out the 14' Caravan (the box is only 12') listed in the design section; you should be able to get creative and build as you like... I almost built this one with light aluminum outer skin, light structured walls, and foamed walls, and roof. It should be able to be built fairly light...
:roll:
http://tnttt.com/VintagePlans/14'caravan.pdf
:thinking:
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Falcongirl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:20 am

AZ_Desert_Rat wrote:Hi Falcongirl,
You said, "After looking at prices for small, lightweight campers and wincing, then looking at small, less lightweight and older campers and finding them full of things I didn't want (like kitchens), we started looking at building one." What are your plans for prepping meals, snacks, etc.; are you going to leave the galley out altogether, put it outside or make a super small facsimile of a galley inside?? You spoke of the inside bathroom area, what happens when you want a sandwich at night? Just curious, mind you... Because I usually turn in earlier when camping, I sometimes get the munchies at night...
;)

I built a small 20" deep galley in my CC and it fits the trailer width... contains a 2-burner gas stove, small sink, and room for 5-gal jug of water, a 30 qt. extreme cool ice chest, and plenty of storage. Some folks prefer not to cook in their rigs, but I choose to live in it like home... We all have our own needs and wants...

BTW... Have you checked out the 14' Caravan (the box is only 12') listed in the design section; you should be able to get creative and build as you like... I almost built this one with light aluminum outer skin, light structured walls, and foamed walls, and roof. It should be able to be built fairly light...
:roll:
http://tnttt.com/VintagePlans/14'caravan.pdf
:thinking:

Howdy AZ! We found that when camping in the swelter of summer, the very last thing either of us wants is hot food or beverage, so I generally bake up a batch of pocket sammiches/piroshkies beforehand and we stock the cooler with other cold foods. We have various propane stoves to bring if we're roughing it, but if we're anywhere with RV electric, then we have a plug-in hotplate and water boiler to use if we want cocoa or tea during cold/rainy days. All cooking will happen outside the camper, probably on a table under an EZ-UP. For winter camping, Himself has a canvas wall tent that he'll be in, because he's crazy. He has a portable wood burning stove in it, and that's what gets cooked on.

We thought about building a drop-down galley that'd pack flat against the outside of the camper. That's not happening this year, and possibly not at all. I'm super paranoid about having propane anywhere near my camper, since it'll turn to napalm and toxic smoke if it catches fire.

We looked at the Caravan, but Himself declared that anything over 10' was 'too big'. :roll: Cutting that design down to 10' loses a lot of useful space due to the curves. The ProtoStoga is my dream trailer. Gypsy Vardo + Hobbit Hole + Airstream. It was declared too ambitious to build in the time we have. You can see how the original design was much more canned ham style, and how it morphed into the end build. We decided to go with a simpler, more boxlike design for ease of build for this first one. :)
Falcongirl
Teardrop Builder

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Falcongirl,
I understand the cooking thing and even the 10' limit... I was just wondering... I saw the 14' Caravan (actual livable length was only 12') and reading about the bathroom and queen bed needs, I thought of something in the 12' livable space... Just thinking and trying to help with a few ideas... Keep us in the loop as your plans materialize and the build goes forth...
:pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby Falcongirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:04 am

AZ_Desert_Rat wrote:Hi Falcongirl,
I understand the cooking thing and even the 10' limit... I was just wondering... I saw the 14' Caravan (actual livable length was only 12') and reading about the bathroom and queen bed needs, I thought of something in the 12' livable space... Just thinking and trying to help with a few ideas... Keep us in the loop as your plans materialize and the build goes forth...
:pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: :pictures:

Thanks! Building has begun, so there's a build journal and a gallery :)
Falcongirl
Teardrop Builder

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi Falcongirl,
I took a look at your gallery and you and Himself are off to a good start... the fenders really look nice! :applause: :applause:
Great going... and keep it up!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves