Excited to build teardrop

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Excited to build teardrop

Postby Sara » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

Hello, Thank you so much for creating this site!! I got this idea to build a teardrop when I retire in a year. I bought Tony Lathams book and then found a number of kits on line. I plan to buy a kit. My 2019 RAV4 can tow 1750 pounds so now I'm trying to figure out if I can build a 5x10 or should stick to a 5x8. My daughter and I are looking forward to visiting national parks out west with the dogs. I can't wait!

I bought a 200 watt jackery portable solar panel. I'm looking at the biolite 1500 battery for the camper. It weighs less than 30 pounds and I'm thinking although it may be overkill for the teardrop, it's a good backup battery if there is a power outage and I need to keep the frig running for 20 hours.

Any thoughts on the size battery I need for a teardrop with a fan, some lights, and maybe an instapot or small electric stove.
Last edited by Sara on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sara
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Excited to build teardrop

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

Welcome! Lots of experience here to tap. And we love seeing drawings and progress photos.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

Sara wrote:...I'm trying to figure out if I can build a 5x10 o r should stick to a 5x8. My daughter and I are looking forward to visiting national parks out west with the dogs. I can't wait!

After a decade of camping in my 4x8 squareback, I wish I'd built it longer and wider (the junk frame I used was only 50" wide x 60" long at first, but I added to the length, not width). I've only camped solo, without even taking a dog with me, and have struggled with lack of storage, door placement, and wished I had a couple more feet in length, where I could've placed a porta-potty (it always storms when I camp, and I hate going out into it at night).

The narrow width of my trailer isn't a problem, and is actually a benefit: it'll fit into the garage bay I reserved for it (a 6' wouldn't), it is narrow enough so that I don't need extra-wide trucker mirrors on my pickup (or even on my X5, if I ever tow with it), and if you travel off-road, then narrower is better (tracks in the car's footprint, and bushes on the trail won't scratch it).

Also, I built my trailer when I was 61-62 years old, and more flexible and my knees still worked back then; be sure to account for aging as you design or build your trailer, and make your doors taller & wider for easier access (mine are neither, and it's a chore to get in or out of my trailer, now).

Whatever you decide on, have fun building it and camping in it. I actually enjoyed the building process (and modifying it, later) as much or more than actually using it (but, that's probably just me, I've always got a project going...I'm "working on it").
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

A 5 x 8' will really limit your galley and you'll have no room for a headboard–-or much storage--inside.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 pm

If you can do 5x10, fo4 sure go for it.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 pm

to me, a kit is a huge waste of cash All kits I have seen cost more in the end when you add shipping, and their mark up .as easy as these are to build . Whatever form of build you use. easy to make larger are smaller. put some tape on the floor that will give you a feel for the sides are lay sticks on the ground 144804
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves