New member saying hello!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New member saying hello!

Postby 2fast4u » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi all!

The wife and I were thinking of renting an RV for a month next summer to ravel with our 11-year old daughter. After checking out the rental costs and then the fuel costs, well....I started looking at alternatives. We bought a Honda Element 4WD Automatic in May of this year. My other vehicles are a 1996 Ford Ranger Truck with a 4-cylinder engine, and a 2005 Kawasaki Nomad Motorcycle. I've never been one to go for large trucks and SUV's, so I am limited as to what I can safely tow.

Well, I was watching "RV Crazy" on one of the cable channels and saw a program about Teardrop Trailers. Boy was I amazed! Then googled my way around and found this site. WOW!!!!! I am giving serious consideration to building my own TTT. I really like the "Squidget." The only thing is, I need to sleep three, 2-adults and one 11-Year old. Looking at the "Squidget" I see the potential of modifying it to make a overhead Bunkbed. But maybe I need to go with a 6' x 10' size for that.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!! Pete from Virginia
:D
2fast4u
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pgwilli » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:10 pm

Welcome aboard Pete!!!
Heck, you're 3 times as fast as most new guys.
:lol:
We went thru much the same rationale...motor home costs too much, don't have a truck to haul a conventional travel trailer....teardrop!!!
There's just the two of us (plus the girls), but I'm sure you will find plenty of ideas to accommodate your family.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby PapaJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:27 pm

Hi Pete:

You and I must have seen the same show!

Welcome from one newbie to another.

Tom
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.
PapaJ
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:52 pm

Pete,
Welcome to the house of the compulsivly functional. Well when the bubble oil is full. 8)

There are a bunch of larger builds going on here and Dale's Squidget is great. I'm willing to lay odds he has thought about how to make a bunk for it too.

Enjoy
Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:03 pm

Hey Pete,

Welcome to the forum... all kinds of newbies here tonight...

Sleeping 3 in a teardrop should not be a problem... just make your teardrop wide enough.

Back in the old days, a bed was typically not much longer than the person was tall. (Reference the post from Andrew) So a 11 year old should be able to sleep in a 6' wide teardrop for many years yet...

I found that the most comfortable distance above a persons feet is is 18 1/2". So if you build the bunk 18 1/2" above your mattress, and make it comfortably wide, the 11 year old shoud be happy for many years... or until he/she wants to bring a friend. Then you break out the tent.

So make your upper bunk removable, and everyone will be happy...

Someone just posted a removable bunk/galley recently that you ought to look at...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:16 pm

Oh yeah. I just remembered someone made a bunk that doubled as the counter. Just pull it into the cabin at night and push it through when needed. Really neat. Perhaps they will show up or someone else will remember who.

Aunti
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 am

Hello Pete, you should think twice about the 6'x10' tiny trailer. The Element is only rated at 1500 lbs towing and a 6x10 will weight that if not a little more. Just something to think about. Welcome aboard.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jagular7 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:28 am

Found this on some site concerning the TD, but this should give an idea to a camper behind a motorcycle setup.

Now, add something like this as a bunk to the doorless side.
Image or

One thing I do suggest that you think about, is what you are going to pack, where it will store enroute, and how the setup would be at camp.
I've got a 4x8 Pleasant Valley and it's fine for my son and I when we go for a weekend Jeeping trip. But when my daughter wants to come, it's drastically small. Think of it like a 3man tent. Yah, the floor barely holds 3 people, but what about the extras brought - sleeping gear, luggage, rain gear, boots, hygeine, etc. And all this stuff adds weight.

Welcome to the forum. Hope this helps you think a little as I'm thinking too much..... :NC
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:27 pm

jagular7 wrote:Found this on some site concerning the TD, but this should give an idea to a camper behind a motorcycle setup.

Or this:

Vagabund (in German). Sorry for the repeats for those who've seen it before.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Juli n Bill » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:50 pm

Why does the 11 yr old need to sleep inside the tear? We have a side tent that's 8 x 8 and has a tunnel that fits onto the side of our teardrop. My 8yr old neice wants to come camping with us, my plan is to put her in the side tent. It's us old folks that need the nice soft bed, kids like sleeping in tents.
Our tear is 5 x 10 and we pull it with a 4cyl. Ford Escape.

Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves