Greetings from H-town

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Greetings from H-town

Postby Big DE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:59 am

Hello all,
My name is Donnie, my wife and I live outside Houston,Tx and we seen the same show on the travel channel and decided we really want one.
So since then i have been browsing the net looking for plans or designs or idea's and came across this forum with all the different TD styles. I've spent the last few days reading and I really appreciate all the people here willing to help. I like to think im mechanically inclined, I have built a dirt track racecar. I have most the tools needed and can borrow the ones I dont have.
I am really interested in the new KampMaster, but i was wondering if I wanted to build it 5' tall how much would the math change on the radius?
Also I want to use square tubing for the frame and was wondering how to seal the exterior edges and make it look factory? I was also wondering if anyone has seen someone make a chuck box that stood up below the rear hatch instead of a kitchennette? Does anyone have a queen sized mattress or are they just too big? Well I could go on for ever asking questions but ill do it in stages.
:)
I am so glad i found a site with this much helpful info now I wont spend as much money re-doing things in trial and error. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for all the help
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:23 pm

Hi Donnie

Welcome to the forum. I have no answers to your questions, all I ever built was a wood teardrop. I have a question though, why 5' high? Still too short to stand up in. Why not just go for it and build a Tiny Travel Trailer if you want height? Maybe it's just me, but if I build another TD it will be shorter, not taller, at 45" my trailer still has a lot of space over my head when I am sitting on the bed.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

5' HIGH

Postby Big DE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Well I was thinking if we wanted to use a queen size mattress that we have it is about 14" thick plus Im a little fluffy my self :lol: the ceiling would be a little low. i would want it tall enough to sit up in and im 3" tall sitting down. I know it will be a little larger than most but i think the extra expense and room is worth it.
:thinking:
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby kerryd » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:45 pm

Donnie , Forget the math . Here is what I did ,I knew how long i wanted it and I knew how tall I wanted . I maked this out on the Floor of my shop. Than I took a peice of the smallest pvc pipe I could fine and bent it in all kinds of radius's to get what I wanted .You can go from mild to wild . Use some weights or bricks / block at differant places to hold its shape . Than stand back and look at it .Its already the size you want too . So what you see it what you get . O , about the pvc . You have to get the 20 foot lenght . Don't try to spliec it . The yellow pvc is the best . I think its for hot use. alot smaller . good luck Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

3 roll bender

Postby Big DE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Kerryd,
I was viewing your album and i wanted to say you do some excellent metal work :applause:

I was also wondering if you used that 3 roll bender to bend the frame :QM :QM plus where can i find a benfer like that :QM :QM

thanks for the suggestions
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby elmo » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:11 pm

Welcome aboard! My wife is in Houston today, if you see her tell her hello and to come home soon the kids are driving me crazy! Thanks in advance!

Elmer out
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby kerryd » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:22 pm

Big DE , Thanks . The three roll bender I do use , but I made a roll bender out of an old reducer I picked out of the trash . And that's what I use the most . One little secret is bend two at a time . Because some times its tough to bend the same one twice . And when you are making your differant bends, its ez er to cut and weld . The roller in the pics comes from a company in Co. name is Shop outfitters . I saw them on e-bay once . They were a knock off . Might still be there. The way I told , with the pvc , came out just like I lied it on the floor . If you need anything let anybody know . Its always good to have a fresh eye . Kerry
kerryd
Teardrop Master

frame

Postby Big DE » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:34 pm

Kerrd,
I am most likely gonna try and find a fab shop who will bend them for me since i dont have a bender for that, thats why i was asking about the math in the schemeatic if it will change with a different height.
:thinking:
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:58 pm

Donnie, a big ol' welcome to the board from your next door neighbor....first suggestion..WHOOOOOOA...rein in your enthusiasm just a little and do some more research on ALL aspects of these little trailers before committing to specifics...the great thing about building yourself is being able to build the way you want...One thing we require around here is pictures, so be ready for requests...in exchange we will give ya more info than you can use...second suggestion...try and see a TD or two...in that regards, we are having a faily large gathrering at Lake Bistineau SP 20mi E of Shreveport Oct27-28th...there should be over 20 different tears there including some from the Houston area...grab a soft sided tear(tent) a camera and a notebook and comeon up and see how lots of folks have done theirs.....have fun 'cause the addiction has started.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Welcome Donnie, I built mine 4' and I have a queen in it. I'm 6' and we have plenty of room. Look around here for idea's these guy's and gal's have built them all sorts of ways. It looks like you have been bitten. after that it becomes and obsession.
I live North of Houston and go to the beach alot. I'll be camped at High Island next weekend if you want to come take a gander.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Donnie,

There you are:

If you send me a message with your email address, I'll send you a pdf with all the dimensions.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby nubwon » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:43 pm

Hey Big DE welcome to the forum. I built mine 5' tall but just wide enough for a double mattress. Connie was afraid the lower roof would feel a little sufficating, so we went to 5'. That makes it a lil out of proportion.....kinda like the back of a garbage truck lol, but we have plenty of head room. We will be at the gathering in October also. In fact we'll be right next to sonetpro so you can compare a tall one to a more conventional sized one. I do love that wide low stance that sonetpro has...
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

Postby KA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:05 am

Welcome,
I agree with Madjack about taking time to research. People on this forum are very patient and generous with information. Have fun as you build, too.
Kris :)
KA
Donating Member

Well we have found a diamond in the ruff

Postby Big DE » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:50 pm

we found an old tt with just the right length, and hopefully we can salvage some of the windows and the rooftop a/c. We got it for a song :twisted: and demo starts this weekend :D
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_personal.php?user_id=3607
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:26 pm

Welcome Donnie.
I have a 4' tall 5' wide tear with a queen mattress in it and we sleep 4 in it. :shock:
We will be at the gathering in October (LCG) as well, come on out and take a look.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves