A Utard....

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

A Utard....

Postby Platbiker » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:45 pm

Hi from Salt Lake!...
I'm 37 and have been an active hiker, biker, riverman, desert rat, and flyfisherman( and punk Rocker!..) for as long as I can remember. With my new family I have been doing more "family camping" and we are pretty satisfied, but I end up spending a lot of time setting up and taking down equipment...my two possible solutions were treat every trip like a backpack( minimal gear and such- no more than can fit in the back of the Outback...), or a tiny trailer of some kind....Guess wich one my lovely better half liked best?...So I passed on those complicated and expensive options like pop ups and decided I was going to try to figure out how to get us all(two adults and a rapidly growing 11 year old...)into a teardrop....after several months of research I feel like I can figure it out ( not entirely stupid, and have done some mechanical/construction/electrical in the past...). thanks for the forum and I'll attempt to curb my the worst of my stupidity!....
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby GregB » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Welcome Platbiker,

FYI, there is a teardrop gathering this weekend up at the KOA Campground at Bear Lake. My wife and I are going to ogle the trailers and see what we can see. Nothing quite replaces seeing one in the flesh, as it were. There are several other builders here in Utah. Glad to have you aboard.

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby thobbs » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:14 am

Welcome to the board from another Utahn! This weekend would be a great time to check out some local builds and see what you like. Unfortunatly for me, I'm stuck here framing a house. I'm so bummed. :( Take some pics for us Greg. :pictures:
thobbs
Teardrop Master

Postby GregB » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:25 am

Yes ma'am, right away ma'am (never say no to a woman who is holding a nail gun).

Greg :lol: :lol:
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby jmtk » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am

Hi Platbiker,

Another Utahn here, in the last stages of finishing up my trailer (got the hatch built last weekend!) You'll find lots of great ideas for fitting the three of you in one of these things. That was one of my main goals, too, as we have a rapidly growing 6 year old. Before our son was born, my husband and I just used to sleep in the back of our old Trooper (back seat taken out). Those were our luxury camping years, no tent to set up or take down. We used to do a lot of weekend Moab trips then, drive down after work, pull in late, crawl in the back of the Trooper and fall asleep. Add a third person and it suddenly gets a lot more complicated. We're hoping the teardrop works similarly.

We've been planning on making the trip up to Bear Lake, too, but the weather is looking pretty questionable for the weekend. We'll make the call Saturday morning. It'd be a no-brainer if the trailer was done!

Got any plans to share yet? As you probably already know, we all luv da pics! Welcome to the forum, you'll find this is an addictive hobby!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Platbiker » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:01 pm

Well, I have a yard sale this weekend, or Bear Lake would sound great( perhaps I could sneak off for awhile....hehe...!) . I haven't gotten anything going yet- however I have a garage,the parents have a 115v MIG unit (which might not be useful for anything but tacking the frame, but it'll at least do that!...) and the way I figure it, I just need some money(easier said than done!...) and sod I can get started on my adobe teardrop!!( yeah, I'm kidding..about the adobe...) catch y'all later!
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Platbiker » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:03 pm

....And as soon as I have pictures I'll cetainly get them up! (undocumented work is wasted work!...)
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Joanne » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:38 pm

I may not live in Utah, but I know where it is... Spent Labor Day weekend enjoying the rain at Panguitch lake. :lol:

I welded my trailer frame with a 115v MIG welder. I turned it all the way up, ground bevels in the metal and concentrated on getting good penetration. Some argue that you can't get enough heat for a good weld, but I'm confident in my welds.

Joanne

Oh yeah, welcome to the asylum!

Platbiker wrote:Well, I have a yard sale this weekend, or Bear Lake would sound great( perhaps I could sneak off for awhile....hehe...!) . I haven't gotten anything going yet- however I have a garage,the parents have a 115v MIG unit (which might not be useful for anything but tacking the frame, but it'll at least do that!...) and the way I figure it, I just need some money(easier said than done!...) and sod I can get started on my adobe teardrop!!( yeah, I'm kidding..about the adobe...) catch y'all later!
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Gerdo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:50 pm

Welcome . I'm not from Utah but I do spend alot of time out there. I think I spent about 4 months in Provo last year. I had my frame welded together there while I was working. I drove a stakebed truck out there so I just thru the frame in the bed and brought it back with me. You should have no problem welding your frame together with a 115 volt welder. Have a great time building. I wanted something that I could run up to the mountains and not spend alot of time setting up camp. The Teardrop makes for a quick camp.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Juli n Bill » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:22 pm

Welcome, Good luck with your build!
as far as building a Teardrop to fit 2 adults and an almost teen (you've got less than 2 yrs!) I wouldn't. Put the 11 yr old in a tent. Build the Teardrop to fit you and your spouse. There are lots of tent options, we use a side tent that attaches to the side of our teardrop. You can see photos in our album that show the tent. We use the side tent for a dressing room and so when you open the door you have some privacy in the morning. Found it on the Sportsmansguide.com.
Have fun!
Juli n Bill
Juli n Bill
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:41 am

Platbiker wrote:....And as soon as I have pictures I'll cetainly get them up! (undocumented work is wasted work!...)

Welcome Platbiker,
Not much left to say. Good outlook ya got going there. Kids love tents but you might have to trade sometime. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Platbiker » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:58 pm

well, the general plan IS to usually have a "kids outside~!" policy- but y'all know how that is!...I figure that building a 5x8 will give enough room that in a pinch it could work( fortunatelly none of us is heavy/wide!...)
Platbiker
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves