greetings from illinois!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

greetings from illinois!

Postby mykidsmom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:43 pm

well, i have decided that i am crazy. :?
i have been looking at this website like mad for the past few days and have decided to try my hand at building one of these things. i am so in love! the problem is that i have 3 little kids that would probably be tagging along with my husband and me.
as we are all tiny people, i have been seriously considering the 2+2 because i think the 3 little ones (ages 3,5,7) would fit up there, but chances are we wouldn't be taking them all the time anyway.
so here is my thing. i've never built ANYTHING before. i've taken apart a lot of things over the years - our washer and dryer - numerous vacuums and carpet cleaners and have to say that i'm a good "fixer."
i guess i want to be encouraged as i have all fall and winter - a heated garage - and a guy that owns a woodshop that is willing to help me out. i know i can do this with help.
i just need someone to hold my hand in the beginning and tell me where to go to get the right plans - or what NOT to get.

hope to meet some of you in my 2+2 someday :thumbsup:
mykidsmom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby davel » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:53 pm

Welcome aboard! You'll find plenty of people here to help you along. The knowledge here is the most complete anywhere and we all have all the opinions you would ever want. :thumbsup:
davel
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:12 pm

Hello and welcome mykidsmom, hmmm, :thinking:

2 + 2 is a nice teardrop for people with children. Sounds like you have what it takes to build: the place to do it and a woodworker that wants to help. Did you see the download features on Andrews webpage? Also here is a link to Ken's photos of his build. Good luck mom.

Link to Kens Build Photos
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi mykidsmom,

Welcome to the forum... sounds like you have all the pieces to pull this off.

start by reading the Generic Plans to see how a teardrop goes together. It's up there in the menu.

Then look at the Vintage Plans, the Design Library, and the Hall of Fame for ideas. Don't be afraid to change your mind many many times. It'll all become clear over time.

And if you have questions ask...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Does anyone know if Ken still has his 2+2? Maybe he'll bring it to LCG. He was gonna come to our Rita-fied Inks Lake campout but I haven't seen any posts recently. I was really wanting to see that one up close.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Marty » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 pm

mykidsmom,

Where in Illinois are you? I grew up in Illinois, long time ago. I don't miss the ice storms in the winter but I do miss the early Spring. This is a great site because you get ideas from so many different people and places.
Good Luck on the build of your 2 + 2.

Marty
The four most expensive words in renovation are: "While we're at it..."
Marty
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:38 am

:lol: Hi there and welcome again.
Handy and a woodworker friend with a shop :twisted: You have it all. Let the kids help. They will love it. Then escape to the Adult daycare (thats us) Post lots of pictures cause we need em.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mykidsmom » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:23 pm

i didn't know all these replies were here! i thought i'd get an email when one was left, but nothing came in.

so, i posted a few days ago that a friend of my husband has a teardrop that he is going to give me to restore! isn't that awesome?! :thumbsup:

it certainly isn't a 2+2, but it's a teardrop and it's gonna need work. it will give me some experience and some time to raise some more cash to build one from scratch. i don't know how i can post a pic of it as i had one emailed to me.

as far as my location, i live north of champaign. not much going on here, but i can't wait to turn heads with my new acquisition! people already think i'm weird cause i ride a recumbent bike and very few have seen one of those before. wait til the see the teardrop!!

cheers!
angie
mykidsmom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mykidsmom » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:10 am

ok so i've uploaded the teardrop pics. check my album and tell me what you think!

positive comments only :worship:

;)
mykidsmom
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:58 am

It looks fixable to me for sure. I like that style too. How long has it been sitting there? Lots of cutting the growth to get it out.
Good luck , I think you can do it. :thumbsup:
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves