Planning a trip to Alaska ..

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby sid » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:14 am

We backpacked the Resurrection Pass Trail on the Kenai Peninsula while we were there in 2000. We spent the first week on the Yetna River at a fish camp, and the second week on the Kenai Peninsula, then a couple days bumming around Anchorage before we came home. Homer is a neat town.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 am

Dang what a trip !! We tent camped a lot last year and learned all about that one lol's ... a tear will be one heck of a step up from that !

I have a double car garage to build in so now I just have to decide exactly what to build ...

think I have decided on a square tube welded steel frame, straight axle with leaf springs and shocks and 14 inch car tires. 10 foot length and I hate to say this ... a 6 1/2 foot width. The Wife wants a 5 foot tall interior ... and I like that hopper design.

Am drawing up one with the wheels enclosed in the body and the wheel wells shaped to match the contour of the body :)

Frame will be welded up by a local shop ... I just have to get the dimensions down first and tell them what steel size to use.

The body will be done in Stitch and Glue like boat building .. marine grade plywood and epoxy with fiberglass tape and epoxy putty at the seams ... no wooden framework whatsoever. If they can build a boat this way then why can't I build a box using this technique :)

All is just in the planning stages now and input mucho appreciated :) -Wayne-
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:31 pm

I didn't realize that the Keller Roadtoad had a bunk for a child in it ... that makes all the difference in the world ... THAT is the design we are going to use :) -Wayne-
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:59 pm

:shake hands: Welcome Wayne,
    The links that Madjack mentioned are in the Alaska section, close to the bottom of the forums page.
    I wish you good luck & success in your trailer build & adventure to the 'Last Frontier'. It sounds like you have a good start planning your build. Guess, about the only advice to offer at this time, would be that if you end up staying in Alaska, you will eventually want to travel the unpaved roads in a variety of weather. Meaning many miles of washboard gravel, rocks and glacial dust that turns to grease when wet. (Most of which make the ALCAN look like a breeze.) So, build unshakably strong, tight and warm! :yes:
    Glad to hear that you already have a mentor that lives here. It could be a real struggle going into winter without good advice. There are all kinds of great opportunities, but the cost of living might be higher than you're used to. Therefore, having work lined up is my only other advice.
    See you on the trail. :)
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby K-1 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:29 pm

Thanks for the great advice ... can't wait to head that way :)
K-1
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves