Sitting and thinking in Minnnesota

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Sitting and thinking in Minnnesota

Postby dori » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:45 am

Hi Everyone... I'm really tired of pulling splinters from my tush from strattling the fence on the decision to buy or join the group of gals that are building their own teardrop..I have the tools and average woodworking skills but my unheated garage is way to cold here in northern Minnesota to start anything until next spring (except making plans)..lol

And getting back to buying..I have been following a new teardrop website http://www.teardropcustoms.com/ ..which has some nice looking tears for sale or he will custom build..(he is located in southwest Minnesota and has also sold on Ebay)... but, as i was saying, this is a new site..Is anyone familiar with it or know anything about this company..or is it possible this person belongs to this group?..Im very leary buying without any feedback..Well thanks for any help....and especially sdtripper 2 for the nice welcome message..Im going to try sit on something soft for a while :lol: and think somemore..Dori
I'm not stupid..I just dont use "spellcheck".
dori
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ira » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:33 pm

It looks like the site is just a portal for OTHER people selling stuff, in that he doesn't actually build anything himself, but has links to others that offer TDs and accessories.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Re: Sitting and thinking in Minnnesota

Postby Joanne » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi Dori!

Thanks for deciding to step forward and post! It would be really easy for me to say that you should build, but it's not as simple as that. When it comes to build or buy there isn't a "right" answer. I would have been camping for two years already if I had just gone out and bought one. That said, I have gotten a lot of satisfaction in what I have accomplished. Before I started building I spent a couple of years thinking and talking about building a trailer until my friends told me to either build one or shut up! :lol:

If you are the type who likes a challenge, then building a trailer is very rewarding. It sounds like you have the skills necessary and that's a good start. If you are more interested in caming in your cute trailer, then buying one would be a good choice.

Sorry I couldn't be more help! :?

Joanne

dori wrote:Hi Everyone... I'm really tired of pulling splinters from my tush from strattling the fence on the decision to buy or join the group of gals that are building their own teardrop..I have the tools and average woodworking skills but my unheated garage is way to cold here in northern Minnesota to start anything until next spring (except making plans)..lol

And getting back to buying..I have been following a new teardrop website http://www.teardropcustoms.com/ ..which has some nice looking tears for sale or he will custom build..(he is located in southwest Minnesota and has also sold on Ebay)... but, as i was saying, this is a new site..Is anyone familiar with it or know anything about this company..or is it possible this person belongs to this group?..Im very leary buying without any feedback..Well thanks for any help....and especially sdtripper 2 for the nice welcome message..Im going to try sit on something soft for a while :lol: and think somemore..Dori
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby b.bodemer » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:17 pm

Hi Dori and welcome,

I had no woodworking experience but along with a good friend who does, and who is retired, my build is coming along nicely.

Matter of fact there is no more that I can do with glue, epoxy, urethane, primer or paint because it got so darn cold here in Cleveland so now I am having fun working on shelves, cabinets and such. My garage isn't heated but my kerosine space heater will help me out a little as I tinker in the garage through the winter season.

So before long the winter will come and go and I'll get to finish my build and maybe you'll get a chance to start yours.

Buying or buiding........it's nice to welcome another gal on board!!!!
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BestmanDan » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:40 pm

Welcome aboard Dori! Where at in Minnesota? There is alot of good information here and plenty of people willing to help! I have learned alot by just browsing than I ever thought possible! Let us know how you are doing! :D
BestmanDan
Donating Member

Postby Ratfinkster » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:28 pm

Welcome Dori. Where in Minnesota? I live in Waseca and am also getting ready to build my own tear. looked at many so called "professional builds" and can't seem to find what i like or can afford. Am also a street rodder, so therefore it has to match the rod. This site is the best on the net as far as information and ideas. You found the right place. :beautiful:
Ratfinkster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dori » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:10 am

Joanne and Barb...Im honered by your encouragement..Thank you!!!

Ira..Actually I have contacted the website..He will build custom teardrops..I almost had one ordered, but had cold feet....

Ratfinkster and Bestman Dan..I am 90 miles south of the Canadian border, north of Duluth..

thanks Dori
I'm not stupid..I just dont use "spellcheck".
dori
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jmtk » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi Dori,

Welcome to the forum from another woman builder. I've been in Utah for the last 20+ years, but I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin. We went to the "big city" of Duluth for back-to-school and Christmas shopping. We were back home just last month for my niece's wedding and got to enjoy some great fall colors. I was hoping to have my trailer done by then, but it didn't happen (teardrop time, you know 8) )

If you have average woodworking skills and tools, you're a good candidate to do a build. If you choose to do so, take your time planning over the long winter, then go for it once spring comes back. I planned for close to 4 months, and have been building for about 8 months. We spent our first night in it just last night! We were only in the yard, but it was a blast and well worth the wait. I was surprised how much time it took - 400 build hours to get it campable, no cabinetry, and I had a pro weld the frame.

Have fun with whatever you decide,

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves