hi all

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

hi all

Postby grannymo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:46 am

This place is awesome :thumbsup: ! I've already learned a lot from you. I'm an avid fisherman (fisherwoman, just doesn't sound right). I only have a car and usually have to pitch a tent or come back to town and I'm getting too old for the hard ground. TD's are perfect for me. My son and a friend of his and I want to build mine. My son is a carpenter and his friend is a trailer builder so we should be able to make something decent. We're looking for light weight but also safe and practical to tow. Here in Wyoming we need something that can handle some rough roads and long distances between fishing holes. I'm sure we will be in the planning stage for awhile before the actual build :thinking: . Any input would be appreciated :worship: . Thanks all for the inspirations you have already given me.

Granny Mo
grannymo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:02 am

...welcome Granny (go granny go)...a couple or three thoughts...1) personally, I think a 5wide(mandatory) x 9long is the ideal size versus usability versus weight 2) the (free) Generic Benroy Plans ar hard to beat and did I say they are free. 3) the Benroy will give about the most room for the profile 4) if building for rough/bad roads, go with an "A" or "Y" frame tongue 5) if building for serious offroad useage, you may wanna go with a heavier axle with lighter running gear mounted (3500# axle with 1500-2000# springs 6) if extreme offroad capabilities are required, go with a spring axle instead of a torsion(more articulation) and don't forget the pictures...we luv 'em and it is the currency we charge for all the info you can stand...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

thanks

Postby grannymo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:40 am

Thanks for the info. I'm sure we will definetely use the information. My car isn't that large so need to take that into consideration. Heck, by the time we are done, I may need to get something better to tow it. Thanks again! I promise the pics will come when we get started. Pretty mandatory for myself as well :) .

Granny
grannymo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:01 am

Granny, You can't beat the Generic Benroy for the price. Plus as MJ stated, the usable space can't be beat. Plus I built the Generic Benroy, so I might be partial.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:08 pm

Welcome Granny MO.
One Granny to another, go for it. It sounds like you will have some great help. My experience with Wyoming was in Feb. and the wind blowing across the highway. :shock: Remember the wind when building light. 8)

Other than that make it suit you. Most campers will go where ever a car will go, but if you fish like me some of thoses out of the way roads are car killers. ;)

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves