Hello, my name is Bruce and I'm a TD wannabe

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello, my name is Bruce and I'm a TD wannabe

Postby War Eagle » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:49 pm

Hello. I've been looking at popups for a few months now. I want something my daughter (5 yo) and I can go camping in without too much setup/ break down time. She loves to tent camp with me at Auburn football games. Her little brother (2 yo) will be wanting to come soon I'm sure but I don't think there mother (my wife) will ever learn to love it. In my search for a popup I came accross an ad for a TD and fell in love. I decided this is the perfect thing to keep me busy during non-football season and also perfect for tailgaing and those weekend trips with Katelinn.

So, you've got me hooked now help me out. I've been reading the forum for a couple days now and have gotten a lot of good ideas to go with the other 10,000 ideas I have. So let me try to start a new thread that hope will spark some good conversation (mods please move to a more appropriate topic if you see fit).

What have you done to your TD that you wished you hadn't?
What have you done to you TD that you are glad you did?
Do you tailgate for football games in you TD? What did you do to make tailgating better?
What about stereos and TV's? Since I'm a big tailgater I am really interested in this. I travel with Direct TV and a great stereo system is a must.

That's all for now, I hope this turns into a good thread.

Thanks in advance for you responses and I look forward to so good conversation.

War Eagle! :D
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:10 pm

Hi WarEagle,

Welcome to the forum. Another tailgaiting nut eh? Wonderful... I hope you can build this. The last tailgaiting nut didn't... :cry:

Anyways, this design was designed for tailgating parties, with the large TV, and the bathroom.

If you plan on cooking, you may want to bring something like this along...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Sam I am » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:43 pm

I built mine 5 feet wide, 9 feet long and 4'-4" tall rather than the traditional 4'x8'x4' tall dimensions. The extra space is worth the effort!
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:22 pm

The 2 biggies are:
Build 5ft wide
Install 2 doors
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:16 am

Welcome War Eagle,
Built mine big. Sometimes I wish I hadn't but when I think football stadium I think "the bathroom is a long d@***walk.

Mikes design is good. If you don't want to go that big get a potty tent.
Truly I can't decide if I like mine better or not. :?

BTW---I think it is great you guys take your little girls camping. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:21 am

:M "War Eagle, fly down the field....lala lal la la " :M

Hey War Eagle!! Auburn fan huh? Cool Beans. :thumbsup: You have found the right place for another group of nutters. :wacky

That design Mike has is cool!! But, make the galley and install the flat screen inside the hatch and just have it open further. That way you can watch the pregame show AND still have the use of the galley!!

Good Luck here.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:47 am

Yea, flat panel TV have become very popular lately. I'll have to update that design one of these days! :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ira » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:39 am

Welcome, War.

Mike, how do you achieve the upward curve on the ends of the "floor?"
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby War Eagle » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:33 am

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Good job MK with the fight song.

Mike, that's a big camper. Auburn provides permanent porta poties very close to where we tailgate so the john is not necessary (for tailgating), besides I host about 20 - 40 people each week so I would need a couple 55 gallon drumbs in there :o . My emfasis (sp?) will be on the galley, which will mainly be used as a bar, the entertainment system, stereo and flat panel tv, and my sleeping quarters.

I will be working with a 5x8 untility trailer that I have had for severl years and only use a couple time each year. I bought it from a friend several years ago for $100. I figure I can come out pretty good with this build as far as money goes.
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm

spars, every 6" to 9". And it's not the floor that's curved. The floor is flat. It's the part that connects the floor to the front wall that's curved, whatever that's called.

Mike...

Ira wrote:Welcome, War.

Mike, how do you achieve the upward curve on the ends of the "floor?"
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:52 pm

I may have a chance to do some designing this weekend...

Mike...

War Eagle wrote:Thanks everyone for the welcome. Good job MK with the fight song.

Mike, that's a big camper. Auburn provides permanent porta poties very close to where we tailgate so the john is not necessary (for tailgating), besides I host about 20 - 40 people each week so I would need a couple 55 gallon drumbs in there :o . My emfasis (sp?) will be on the galley, which will mainly be used as a bar, the entertainment system, stereo and flat panel tv, and my sleeping quarters.

I will be working with a 5x8 untility trailer that I have had for severl years and only use a couple time each year. I bought it from a friend several years ago for $100. I figure I can come out pretty good with this build as far as money goes.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby War Eagle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:00 am

Mike, you love this stuff don't you? I can't blame you, I have never even seen a TD in person and I go to bed thinking about what all I want to do to mine. My biggest worry right now is wood or tin roof and how to finish that joint. :thinking: I can see this turning into an obsesion.
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 am

I'll STILL call it the floor, Mike! But I know what you mean.

And Eagle, if you think you're obsessed now, you have no idea:

Life as you knew it is OVER.

Be prepared to bore, aggravate, and at the same time FASCINATE all of the people around you.

You see, while your buddies may be discussing a friend's sad divorce, all you'll be thinking about are spars and what to skin your roof with. And just WAIT until your wife sees the eBay stuff getting delivered on a daily basis!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Ok, here's the scoop...

5' wide, 10 ft long...glad I did both.

After that, I would say stop now. Unless you have a good therapist.

I think you should know what happens to people who build teardrops.

Don't say you weren't warned! Here is what one builder does with their time...

http://www.mypartypost.com/watchvideo/1 ... splay_Ever

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby mincey » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:29 am

Welcome War Eagle/Bruce! We don't have a teardrop, but we do have a T@B clamshell. My hubby wanted something he could at least stand up in so I compromised. But we have had it a little over a year and love it!! I like the simplicity.

Nice to have another member from Cumming! Our address is Gainesville, but we are actually in Forsyth county between Cumming and Gainesville. So welcome to the forum!

Cheryl
Cheryl and Randall
2006 T@B Clamshell
The T@Binator
mincey
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves