2bits from Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

2bits from Texas

Postby 2bits » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:57 am

I LOVE camping but I HATE setting up a tent... So I started thinking about cabover campers and I ran across a site that had plans to build one yourself. Being an amature carpenter I looked into it, and a friend turned me on to Teardrop trailers...

HOOKED

They totally fit with my classic truck and my personal style too. I feel like I really found a home with these! My buddies are already planning their spring camping trips, and I have told them about my plans and they are excited about it too. I have a welder friend who says he can help build the trailer, and my master carpenter friend will help is constructing the body by donating his wood shop to me whenever I want! :twisted: Given my time constraints, I am planning to build a 5' wide Weekender, to be a mix between fast n easy and as much detail and convenience as time and $$$ will allow!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby tonyj » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 am

You're in for a fun ride.

Welcome to the madness.
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodyperk6 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:37 am

Welcome from the other side of the metroplex.

It's a great way to camp.

Woody
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:00 am

Welcome not only to the best forum in the world, but the nice group of campers down here known as the South Central Group.

If you can do the drive, come over to Beavers Bend in early April and take a look at a bunch and camp with us. We'll help you put up the tent. I think I remember how to do that.

Good luck !!! You'll LOVE IT !!!

Julie

ps....... contact Woody, Caseydog, DaveL or Loader...someone there in the greater DFW area and look at one in person... there is NOTHING BETTER than actually laying in one, lifting the hatch and seeing the size in person before you start building.
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone! And thank you too Julie, that is a good idea to actually see one to get the minds eye full of something in person!

Last time we went camping was at Beaver's Bend, it was great taking the country roads up there, nice n slow and Kelly stayed the week but I was only able to stay the weekend, but I really like the place. I am hoping to have the Weekender built by April actually. I know those are high aspirations, but I am alone so I can immerse myself in something totally and pretty much spend all my free time every night after work and every weekend, so I think it can be done. (I tend to be kind of obsessive when I start a new project haha)

Thanks again everyone!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby EVAC A SHACK » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Welcome to the Forum. You will get imersed in this without trying. It is more fun than you can imagine and it would be good to go to Beavers Bend and see some others Live. Good luck on your build.
EDDIE AND LINDA SMELLEY
LUFKIN, TX
EVAC A SHACK
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:23 pm

2bits wrote: I am hoping to have the Weekender built by April actually. I know those are high aspirations, but I am alone so I can immerse myself in something totally and pretty much spend all my free time every night after work and every weekend, so I think it can be done. (I tend to be kind of obsessive when I start a new project haha)

Bring it anyway, it won't be the first time somebody camped in an unfinished tear.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:04 pm

to the playground Thomas. The SC group is growing like weeds. Looking at one is really helpful. We were half done by the time we saw one. Would have made it smaller if I had seen a real one.

Enjoy the build and remember that :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: keep the bubble oil level.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby elmo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Welcome!!

Like your website and you really did a nice job on the 71 Stepside!!

My favorite Chevy truck years are the 67-72!!!! :thumbsup:

Going down stairs right now to refurbish a new to me grill right now!!

Looking forward to seeing your progress!!
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Mike C. » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum. Attend a get-together, the ideas you get from others will help you with your build. Be sure and post pictures as you go.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby 2bits » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:49 am

Thanks again guys!

Nice Blazer Elmo! I finally have my truck running and road worthy so it is finally onto begin the next project!

I told my friend's in my local truck club about Beaver's Bend so I am pushing for them to go, my friend Jay, who turned me on to the teardrop, already has plans for his "custom" finished, but he won't be building for a couple of years because he has a new baby due but he doesn't just talk, so I trust that he will do it, and we will be towing in tandem!

Miriam, I am doing 5' wide but I want to keep it low profile, and light! I put a little 6 Cylinder in my truck for economy and I want to stay on that train. Cool looking, but efficient!

Anyone local please reply or PM me!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves