Newbee

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbee

Postby Joshua » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:32 pm

Just wanted to say that I have spent the last 6 months reading many of the posts. I am have now started tearing down my donor camper, a 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 6, which has seen better days. When stripped of all its glory, I will have a 6 1/2' by 10' frame to work with. Unfortunately, I cannot decide on the design yet. So, when I figure out which one I want to go with, I will start a post to let everyone know the direction I am headed.

Glad to finally be a part of the group I have been reading about for so long.

-Joshua
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:07 pm

Image to the playground Joshua. I am always amazed at the number of folks who wait to introduce themselves till they start building. :R Just teasin. Look forward to what you come up with. I used a pop up but wasn't 10' long. Sure wish it had been.

Enjoy and remember to :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: Image :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jst83 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Welcome Joshua,
I'm also one of the popup frame builders. Mine was about that size and I stretched it out to about 11' long, there's so many things you can do with a frame that size. Have fun and as Miriam has already said don't forget the Image

Scott
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mike C. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi Joshua,

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can help with questions about your build.
When you decide what you want to build, be sure and post lots of pictures,
keeps certain people's bubble oil level.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:04 am

Joshua, welcome to the best teardrop site on the net. Looks like you are part way there, with a fairly large frame to boot. I suspect that after you have built a TD trailer on that frame, it will be a bit heavier than the old tent trailer. If you have 8" wheels on that frame, you might consider changing to 12 inchers to help with the added weight.

I too had a problem deciding on the design, profile and material when I was planning my build. I suggest you review the Hall of Fame trailers and pick one that suits your fancy. Then it's only a matter of time and you will be a-teardroppin' with the rest of us. Try to attend a Gathering, walk-ins are always welcome. Take construction pics and post em. Enjoy
Roly :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Joshua » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks to everyone for the warm invite. To answer a couple of questions, the camper originally weighed in at 2,200 lbs with a fully loaded tongue wieght of 220lbs. A bit heavier than I want. I originally looked at the harbor freight trailer route for weight, but then decided I would need to do a lot of modifying to get the 6' wide trailer I wanted. Since I already had this one, I hope I can slim it down a bit to reduce the weight.

Oh, and it already has 12 inchers on it, but they need some TLC. I figure I will finish tearing it all down, rehab the trailer and in the meantime, work on picking the design. I have to keep the banker (wife) in the loop throughout this process, cause she only gives out money to an idea she likes.

Thanks again to eveyrone for welcoming me in. And I am sorry it took me so long to join the post.
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 am

Joshua wrote: I have to keep the banker (wife) in the loop throughout this process, cause she only gives out money to an idea she likes.

For everything else there's MASTERCARD !

:D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Joshua » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:29 pm

The tear down of the popup is complete. I do have pictures of that process that I will post to my album soon. Still waiting to dump the garbage before I can start slimming down the frame.

Does anyone know how much metal I can cut away to lighten it up without drastically effecting overall safety and integrity?
-Joshua
Joshua
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves