Hi from Oklahoma

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from Oklahoma

Postby Koi-Kid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:22 pm

Greetings all from North Central Oklahoma

My name is Marsh and yes I am an OKIE raised in Tulsa and been up in the Ponca City area for the last 35 years.

I found the Forum a little over a week ago doing a Google on TD's looking for more photos and info. Needless to say I found lots and after wading through alot have found an abundant amount of it here and I have barley scraped the surface!.

My camping style is a little different than with a tear drop, mine is more like backpacking. I have been an avid cross country M/C sport touring rider / camper for the last 30 years or so and occasionally go by automobile. So no Dutch ovens or cast iron skillets along on those trips, was tin foil, SS cook set and backpackers stove.

Plans are to build a TD once I decide that this is what we want to do and I can find the time to build one. Anymore my job seems to take up a lot of my weekends and other free time anymore. I have a complete shop and am an avid woodworker and woodturner more of a Jack of all and master of some then anything else. So the construction process should go pretty well once I make a decision to build.

Seeing all the DO has got my interest back up in that department but sad to say I think I sold my camping DO and 8" skillet but did locate my standard DO with about an 1/8 inch of dust on it out in the shop yesterday.

I saw that in April there is a get to gather at Beaver Bend here in Okla. that we may have to come down to if I'm not on call that weekend and then could really see some TD to see if I really want to proceed with this thought in my head ...but that's a long way off from now that just means more time before ordering materials before I could start.
Last edited by Koi-Kid on Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koi-Kid
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ivar the Red » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Hey, wahzzup?
Welcome, this is a great place for advise, to learn about gathering, or just to talk with like minded folks. Good luck on the build or finding what ever you need. 8)
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby ARKPAT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Welcome Marsh!

You might check with Charles and Linda Coake a Cola Tear if you plan to stay. I think there where some room available but you need to check with them for sure. Come on down and enjoy the gathering. their will be another gathering in June 20th-22nd at Petit Jean State Park just east on I-40 near Russelville/Morrilton, AR area. You are welcome to any gathering tent or trailer.

:thumbsup:

Pat
Last edited by ARKPAT on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Image to the playground Marsh. Too late to back out now. And if you see one well........there goes the bank acct. :lol: 8)

There is rarely a rush with these things. Just think about it and do it when you can. :thumbsup:

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike C. » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi Marsh,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like the Midwest just added another TDer.
Any ideas on what style TD you want to build? For ideas to help your thought process, you might check out the "Hall of Fame" in the upper left corner of this and every page. There is only one price to pay for joining, and that is to post lots of pictures of your build as you go.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby satch » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Once the hook is set, it's just amatter of time before you get "reeled" in!! btw WELCOME!! 8)
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby kajamelu4 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:39 am

Welcome to another Okie!
Ponca City is where I saw my very first, in person, teardrop. Craig and Cary (from Camp-Inn) put me in touch with a guy from there. At the time it was the only one (Camp-Inn) in Oklahoma. I came right home and ordered mine!
Anyway, attend a gathering as soon as you can. You will have a great time! You'll come home with thousands of ideas swarming around in your head, and lots of new friends too! Oh, and wear stretchy pants. The pot-lucks are wonderful!

Welcome to the playground!

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby Catoosa Grani » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi Marsh! We live in Tulsa, actually just out of Catoosa, and we have 2 TD's and our son has one. We did not build ours, we just couldn't wait to join in on all the fun. We are going to Beavers Bend and hope you will be able to join us. If we can be of any help or answer any "simple" questions just give us a hollar.

Welcome aboard!
Grani
ImageImage
Catoosa Grani
Gold Donating Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Hey y'all !!!!! Welcome to our wonderful forum...the best message board and teardrop information in the world.

I'm near Oklahoma City.... we have another gal here in this area .
There is Catoosa Grani, Reo Ron and Jplock, Rickxr2 and T=Town.... and then Ivar of course.... and also some Wichita area folks.
I'm thinking of organizing a little campout for around the Tulsa ish area for this summer/fall and definitely for Lake Tenkiller in late Sept.

DEFINITELY try to see one in person.... it makes all the difference.

I'll PM ya.

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Hi Marsh, welcome to the forum and I hope you find what you are looking for. You mentioned that you are a woodturner. Interesting. I have 3 wood lathes and of all of the power tools that I have, I enjoy the lathes best. No other tool is capable of transforming a simple bark-covered piece of wood from the firewood pile into an object you can display on your fireplace mantle. In just one evening, you can turn it into a one-of-a-kind turned bowl, platter, hollow vessel, or lidded box, all sanded and finished.

Now onto your teardrop interests. Do check out the many pics and info located in the Hall of Fame. One of them should catch your eye and suit your out-of-campground adventures. Attend that TD gathering and you'll meet the friendliest group of folks in all of OK. Good luck on your plans to build, and with your skills with woodworking it should be a snap.
Roly, I've been where you are and have done that. ;)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Mr. & Mrs. Rabbit » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 am

oklahomajewel wrote:Hey y'all !!!!! Welcome to our wonderful forum...the best message board and teardrop information in the world.

I'm near Oklahoma City.... we have another gal here in this area .
There is Catoosa Grani, Reo Ron and Jplock, Rickxr2 and T=Town.... and then Ivar of course.... and also some Wichita area folks.
I'm thinking of organizing a little campout for around the Tulsa ish area for this summer/fall and definitely for Lake Tenkiller in late Sept.

DEFINITELY try to see one in person.... it makes all the difference.

I'll PM ya.

Julie

Did you say Lake Tenkiller? We went there last summer with some friends and had a lot of fun. The guys went scuba diving and had a blast! :)
Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery.
Mr. & Mrs. Rabbit
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete.wilson » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Hey

Welcome Marsh. The thing is there is so much you can learn and even if you don't have a trailer today, you might want to build one in the future. This is a great sight, enjoy the stay.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS

P.S. I will be down in LeFlore county end of may for some Bigfoot activity, pretty country down there.
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves