Hi from Ohio

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from Ohio

Postby quadrider » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:42 pm

Hi all, my name is Steve, I came across this site while searching for trailers to pull behind my recumbent trike. I have spent the last 5 winters building recumbent trikes and this winter I was going to build a trailer to haul camping supplies for the latest one. Instead I started looking at these teardrop trailers and became hooked. Last week I bought a 4x8 trailer from TSC and started thinking about profiles. I put some pictures of some prep work to the trailer that I did tonight in my album.
quadrider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:51 pm

Hi Steve...welcome aboard...congrats on taking the first step. Whatever you do, build what you want, and have fun with the build. You won't believe how pumped you are when you finally take it out for the maiden voyage! Don't be afraid to use your imagination in your design. There is no right or wrong on design features! :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby satch » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 pm

You are going to have some "beefy" legs after pulling a tear with that "gizmo". :lol: btw WELCOME!!!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:49 pm

Welcome Steve.

There are a few other Recumbent rider/builders on the site.

Some have built trailers for their Bikes/Recumbents.

If you do a search you will find members.

:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby quadrider » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:02 am

Thanks for the wecome everybody. My primary use for the trailer will be to haul 2 recumbent trikes, leaning toward the benroy profile right now.
There is alot of info. on this site and it has given me alot of ideas.

Steve
quadrider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jst83 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:20 pm

Welcome Steve,
You've bought the trailer, yep your hooked there's no turning back now. :lol:
As Doug said you'll get a lot of ideas on here but the bottom line is it's yours build it like you want and have fun.

We've got a big gathering forming in Brown County, IN in May
I did a search it's just a little over 3 hours from you, it would be a good chance to see a lot of different styles and meet a lot of people first hand. Check it out the Midwest section

Again welcome to the Fun and look forward to meeting you at a future gathering.

Scott
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Welcome Steve, that sure looks like a long trailer you've got there. Just looking at the pics, and I can't say for sure, but the axle may be a bit too far back which might create a fairly heavy tongue weight. Also, is that short tongue standard for that trailer? My concern is the flex created with such a short purchace back to that first cross member. How about it, fellow builders, does it look right to you, or am I out in left field with my comments? Just trying to be helpful, I ain't no expert.

Good luck on your build. I suppose if you are going to load it up with bikes, that means the galley will require some changes to allow access for them. Can you provide some sketches so we can tell what inovative designs you are planning? You've got a good start on your pics, just keep 'em coming.
Roly :thumbsup:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby quadrider » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Jst83 wrote:Welcome Steve,
You've bought the trailer, yep your hooked there's no turning back now. :lol:
As Doug said you'll get a lot of ideas on here but the bottom line is it's yours build it like you want and have fun.

We've got a big gathering forming in Brown County, IN in May
I did a search it's just a little over 3 hours from you, it would be a good chance to see a lot of different styles and meet a lot of people first hand. Check it out the Midwest section

Again welcome to the Fun and look forward to meeting you at a future gathering.

Scott

Scott
Sounds like fun, I'll see if I can come for the day, my son graduates the week after so I probably won't be there for the weekend.

Steve
quadrider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby quadrider » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:Welcome Steve, that sure looks like a long trailer you've got there. Just looking at the pics, and I can't say for sure, but the axle may be a bit too far back which might create a fairly heavy tongue weight. Also, is that short tongue standard for that trailer? My concern is the flex created with such a short purchace back to that first cross member. How about it, fellow builders, does it look right to you, or am I out in left field with my comments? Just trying to be helpful, I ain't no expert.

Good luck on your build. I suppose if you are going to load it up with bikes, that means the galley will require some changes to allow access for them. Can you provide some sketches so we can tell what inovative designs you are planning? You've got a good start on your pics, just keep 'em coming.
Roly :thumbsup:

Roly
The trailer is 4'x8' with 3' long tongue. I made it 5' wide today and posted some more pictures.
As soon as I get some drawings done I'll show you guys.

Steve
quadrider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 am

Image to the playground Steve.

Had a look in your album and the trailer mods sure look better than the normal TSC trailer.

Are you planing on carrying the bike inside or out? Be sure to leave room for yourself
;) :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby quadrider » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:28 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Image to the playground Steve.

Had a look in your album and the trailer mods sure look better than the normal TSC trailer.

Are you planing on carrying the bike inside or out? Be sure to leave room for yourself
;) :thumbsup:

Miriam,
Thanks for the welcome, I plan on carrying the 2 trikes inside, one of them is made out of mahogany and I don't like for it to get wet. We have been hauling them in a van and put them in a screened in tent when camping. When I ran across this site I thought I could build one of these trailers, pull it with our trailblazer and still go camping with alot better gas mileage. :thumbsup:

Steve
quadrider
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mike C. » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you've already spoken with the experts, so I will just tell you that I hope you enjoy it here and have fun.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves