Hello from Tampa, FL

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Tampa, FL

Postby justme256 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Hi everyone! Here it is Post #1.
I like many newbies have been lurking around the forum for a couple months exploring and learning.
I have been a tent camper for 40 years years. I have taken Karen, my significant other, on many tenting trips but she is getting tired of sleeping on the ground. We have come home on too many trips with wet gear!
I had been searching for a pop-up tent camper because here in our Tampa subdivision our deed restrictions would not allow a camper that could be seen from the road. Anything I can “hide” behind the fence is allowed. I prefer not to have the cost of offsite storage.

When I saw the Travel Channel segment on TearDrops I went searching the internet and came across this forum. Yep, I’m hooked! So the fun begins.

After looking at the various profiles in the Design Library we decided on the Grumman 2 profile. Will build at 10’ x 5’.
We will initially tow the TD with Karens Jeep but my intent is to build light enough to tow with a Toyota Corolla. With a tow rating of 1500#s lightweight design is a must. Based on threads I have read I believe this can be done.

I know from my lurking that pics here are a must. I’ll be sure to keep my album filling up for your enjoyment and to document my build progress.

The first order of business has been cleaning out the garage to create some build space. Like most people in Florida my garage has been used more like a BIG walk in closet! LOL.

Bought the HF 1740# trailer on sale last month. I have the trailer frame pretty much put together and am at the stage where I need to determine where to set the wheels. I want to get the trailer completed and moved behind the fence then set up the work bench in the garage.

I will set up a new thread under General Discussion to document my build.

Karen and Larry
Bev and Larry
justme256
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kens » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Wecome to the madness. I told my wife today I want to start our second tear. She asked why? I didn't have an answer. :thinking:
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Re: Hello from Tampa, FL

Postby Mary K » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:39 pm

Welcome to the forum from another Floridian. :thumbsup:

justme256 wrote:When I saw the Travel Channel segment on TearDrops I went searching the internet and came across this forum. Yep, I’m hooked! So the fun begins.

There are many a Teardropper sucked in by this show. You are not the only one...... Including me :oops: There is a Twelve step Program, but the only real cure is building a Teardrop!!! :lol:

Looking forward to watching your build.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Glad you found us and welcome to the board. Looks like you have taken the first step in obtaining a trailer so now, on with the build. The Grumman 2 profile is a good choice and should give you plenty of room inside. Remember, past and present builders are here to help if you have any questions. You've already got the right ideas about pics so what else can I say. Oh yes, say Hi to my great-grand kids there in Tampa. Can't wait to go back there again to see them. Good luck on your build.
Roly :applause:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby Mike C. » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi Karen and Larry,

Welcome to the forum. Get that garage cleaned out and get to making sawdust. I see you already understand the fee for participating.......pictures and more pictures.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby OrionAZ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 pm

Welcome neighbers! We are also from the Tampa area. Just south of tampa, Ruskin. Looks like you are off to a nice start. If you run into any questions or looking for ideas just let me know I would love to help. Our tear drop was one of my favorite projects.
OrionAZ
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi Larry and Karen - welcome!

I live in Brandon, just around the corner. I have a 5'x10' but I have no idea what design it was built on. I bought it from a guy who had just finished building it.

Take lots of build pics - everyone here loves to watch the progress.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:11 pm

I know from my lurking that pics here are a must. I’ll be sure to keep my album filling up for your enjoyment and to document my build progress. ..................snip snip......I will set up a new thread under General Discussion to document my build.

And a trailer too!
:thumbsup: You have the important stuff done. Nothing left for me to do but say Image to the playground Karen and Larry, and keep the bubble oil level. :pictures: :pictures:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby justme256 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks for the welcomes!

Nice to know there are others here in the Tampa area. I am in Carrollwood Village. Maybe Karen and I will get to meet some of you someday.

For those in Hillsborough county was it difficult to get your TD registered? Whats the process? Is it any different registering just the trailer Vs. a TD? Would I need to register twice?
I was thinking I would get the trailer registered prior to building the TD on top. That way I can go to the store and pick up the sheet material I need.

Has anyone built a TD with a removable lower galley that would allow the TD to be used somewhat as a normal trailer say for hauling 4x8 sheet materials?

I have started a new thread in the General Discussion area with the title "Karen And Larry's Grumman2 Build". I will be using this to document my build progress. Have already been loading pics.

Extended the frame to 9' on Sunday, got the hitch installed on Karen's Jeep last night. Will hopefully get to the trailer wiring this weekend. Plan is to get the trailer out of the garage to set up a work bench. Space is at a premium given that the garage was a big walk in closet a few weeks back!! LOL
Bev and Larry
justme256
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Hector » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:28 pm

Hello Karen and Larry,
we are also from the Tampa area (live in Odessa work near Tampa Airport).Alot of info in here.I'm a first time builder and I'm having a great time.
Hector
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:04 pm

Larry:

I had no problem registering mine, but the previous owner had already registered it as a homebuilt trailer so that is what I registered it as. Is does have a VIN number and I don't know if the trailer (HF) comes with one or if he requested a VIN. But, it was easy.
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Lou Park » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Hector wrote:Hello Karen and Larry,
we are also from the Tampa area (live in Odessa work near Tampa Airport).Alot of info in here.I'm a first time builder and I'm having a great time.

Oddessa? Isn't there a flea market there?
Lou
Lou Park
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Welcome Larry and Karen,

As far as registration, just use the Certificate of Origin that came with the HF trailer. That's all you need. Don't confuse anyone at the DMV talking about small RV's, Tear Drops, etc. Your Certificate of Origin has the weight of the trailer on it, that is all they need to give you your registration and tag. It is truly that simple.

When I registered my homebuilt trailer all I had to take to the DMV was a certified weight ticket from a scale. As long as the trailer is under 2000 lbs it doesn't get a title, just a registration and a tag.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Hector » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:58 am

yes Lou the flea market is about 5 miles from my house.My dad goes to it every weekend
Hector
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:13 am

Hector:

Is that the Wagon Wheel or a different one?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves