new midwest member, looking for unconventional help

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new midwest member, looking for unconventional help

Postby andyr354 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:49 pm

Hello, just found this place this morning. Very cool... probably gonna cost me :D

I was searching around looking for places to get ideas and some help. I want to build a tent camper unit on the front of a goose neck trailer. I tow my offroad rig on the same 20' low deck car hualer.
example of what I have:
http://www.loadtrail.com/gc16-2.htm
I have the 20' version. The rig I am hauling takes up all but 4' of the front of the deck, so figure I have 3.5' to work with.
Second, it needs to be removable from the trailer for hauling other larger things.

I have a skid steer loader with pallet forks that can easily pick up something and install/remove it.

I saw this design
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=18060
Something similar that had a taller box instead of the trailer frame underneath sparked my interest. I only need to sleep one most of the time, but to be able to put a second person on the floor down below would be ok when needed.

Should I post this in the other forum as well?

Once again thanks for the reading on the forum!

Andy
North Central KS.
andyr354
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Andy you just ain't ready for this crazy idea but here goes.

I build and haul mini barns on my 24' flat bed I put a work bench completely across the nose.

If you are camping and working with the same rig I would build a 28" - 32" deep work center at the front the full width of the trailer. Kinda a short shallow storage barn. The workbench would be shortened to allow for a short ladder on one side. It looks like a 7' x 7' platform could be built above the goose neck. This is a luggage rack in transit and the tent floor when popped up. The locker room below will become the galley for camping and a workbench for work.
Tell the folks the bench vise is a heavy duty nut cracker :lol: The tent floor can cantaliver over 12 to 15" without a lot of framing. In fact I wouldn't be afraid of 2 layers of 3/4 osb just alternate the seams longways and then across. Access to the tent could be up thru the floor by leaving a section of flooring out and modifying the tent floor.

Just a collection of random thoughts ! You will have to excuse me now the nice men in the white coats are here ! :?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 pm

:lol: Oh gosh Image to the playground Andy. They just keep getting bigger. Your idea is a sound one and making it removable might be the hardest part.

If you go to "non-traditional designs" and post this question I am sure you will get lots of brainstorming. (wonder if we have enough meds) :R :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mary and bob » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:37 am

you need something like the old truck sleepers, the ones that sat behind the cab, not part of it like they are now. there was even one that sat on top of the cab, you climbed up into it.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Mike C. » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum. As you can see, one question, and you are already starting to get ideas. If you can imagine it and it can be built structurally sound, then yes it's doable. Looks like you already have a good idea of what you want to do, so get in there and gitrdun.

See you around. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves