newby to those in command .....permission to land please

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

newby to those in command .....permission to land please

Postby bassman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:03 pm

hi to all ,i'm a newby from southport ,england in the U.k, have recently discovered the world of teardrop trailers from some 1930's pics on ebay ,my wife and i are avid fans and collectors of all things Art Deco, i was so taken with the shape of the trailers i just had to find out more, after hours of trawling google i landed on your doorstep,you will see from my picture album i am in the process of renovating a morris 1000 traveller ( english woody ) and as the engine is only approx 1000 cc and hugely powerful at 45hp :lol: a lightweight teardrop will be just the ticket. i've spent a couple of days reading this site and have already penned my first set of plans, i can't wait to get started, the morris renovation should be completed by may and the teardrop will be the very next project. i shall be picking your brains for advice although a lot of my questions so far have been covered by previous posts. well thank you all for not falling asleep during my first address to the community. best regards phil.........oh and bassman refers to the instrument not fish or english beer ;)
bassman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:41 pm

Hey Bassman,

Welcome to the forum...

I see you've already figured out the album. Hope you fill your album up once you start on your teardrop!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mini Renegade » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. I`ve been building my tear for about a year to tow behind my Austin Morris Mini clubman estate, I found this site invaluable for info and ideas. 8) 8)
There is a growing number of us from the UK, I think we are taking over.
Look us up on the tearjerkers, link below
If evvr tha dus owt fr nowt, allus do it fr thissen
Mini Renegade
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:36 pm

Image and Welcome to the playground. 8) Beautiful Woody you already have started. Will the TD be in keeping with woody look?

Take lots of pictures and Keep the bubble oil level. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby bassman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:31 pm

Mini Renegade wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum. I`ve been building my tear for about a year to tow behind my Austin Morris Mini clubman estate, I found this site invaluable for info and ideas. 8) 8)
There is a growing number of us from the UK, I think we are taking over.
Look us up on the tearjerkers, link below

i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one crazy enough to risk a head gasket towing something larger than a roller skate will check the links and keep in touch
bassman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bassman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:40 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Image and Welcome to the playground. 8) Beautiful Woody you already have started. Will the TD be in keeping with woody look?

Take lots of pictures and Keep the bubble oil level. :thumbsup:

thank you miriam its good to be here , to be honest i'd love to continue the theme and match the tear to the morris ,it will depend upon the costs ,the ash frame on the morris cost about $1600 over here we live in the rip off capital of the world !!!! i thought about overlaying a birch ply frame suitably coloured to match the morris frame depends on which shape tear i go for and to what looks pleasing to the eye, i might just go for the old english white look with a little wood trim as an accent rather than a frame, early days yet
bassman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bassman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Bassman,

Welcome to the forum...

I see you've already figured out the album. Hope you fill your album up once you start on your teardrop!!!

Mike...

hi mike and thanks yes i figured the album hope it gets to number one in the charts ;) this is a seriously good and informative site, i belong to the morris minor owners club in the u.k which is the largest classic car owners club in the u.k and this site certainly puts ours to shame for technical advice ,pics and plans, there are some beautiful tears out there, cant wait to get started ,i've scoured ebay and googled for suppliers of parts etc a pity we cant get some of the parts you in the u.s.a can get though
bassman
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sam I am » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:55 pm

Welcome, Bassman! A lightweight woody tear would look great behind that Morris! Neat car!
:thumbsup:
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby bassman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:10 am

Sam I am wrote:Welcome, Bassman! A lightweight woody tear would look great behind that Morris! Neat car!
:thumbsup:
Sam

hi and thanks, i've just looked through your pics and the border on your tear was the subtle overlay that i referred to on a previous reply it might be just enough over an old english white colour background, although lens woody slumbertear looks very impressive from the pics it would be too heavy for the morris to pull my rover is a 184bhp v8 and would pull just about anything ......even the wife :lol: its languishing in a lock up waiting for its second full renovation in 2009 so who knows if i get a small tear up and running for the morris and it survives my build skills, i could have a pop at making a larger project for the rover , i guess it'll soon be beach weather for you guys .......its rarely beach weather here although our local beach is six miles long, they used to race cars on it in the 1930's !
bassman
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves