Motorcycle Teardrops

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: Motorcycle Teardrops

Postby djoyner » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 am

gl1800mike wrote:more pics of construction

As you can see there are 3 storage areas, a center on with the spare and a gel cell battery inside these are accessed from under the bed since they won't need constant access, the front and back compartments will be seen in some other pics about to be shown, they are accessed through small doors from the outside.

Mike,

Great job on the build! I am just about ready to take my build on it's test run. I've read that increasing the length of the tongue will improve handling. I believe the rule of thumb is, the length of the tongue from axle to hitch should be at least 2/12 times the distance between the tires.

Have fun on the trip!
D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at: http://www.dennisjoyner.net
djoyner
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

You're doing a nice job, Mike. One thing that I couldn't seem to find about your build is how tall it is, ground to roof and also floor to ceiling. Understandably, it may be less than 46", floor to ceiling? Also, what are the dimensions of the door opening? Thanks. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mezmo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Great job Mike !

I like the straightforward symmetrical profile. And the
nice wide doors too. The exterior storage access is also
right on the money.

I hope you can settle out the weight balance issue enough
to allow you to use it for your trip - after all the good effort
you put in on it.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby nhstt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:48 am

Mike any more pic's on the fiber-glassing I've never done it and would like to try it to help with waterproofing.
It looks great-what did you use for exterior paint?Enjoy your road trip :thumbsup:
Karen
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 am

gl1800mike wrote:last of the pics
Fiberglass is done, and everything reinstalled this is before the first test.
Then I pulled it that night to the local bike night. second pic

I have one problem I am still working on. I didn't bias the weight enough to the front and I have a weeble wobble at about 50 mph.
Mike

I tried to tell you, having been there and done that.......

Before you blame the ill handling on the trailer, lengthen the tongue at least 32 -36" You could go nose down a bit to tip the weight forward somewhat and lower the frontal angle of attach for a bit more aerodynamics but most of the ill handling is the short tongue. Look at commercially built motorcycle trailers and you will notice one thing, a God awful longue tongue. They don't do it to just waste steel it is a very necessary part of the towing dynamics.

Tack weld on a 4 foot piece of 2x2 square tube on top of your existing tongue with a 1 foot overlap and move the coupler forward the remaining 3 feet and take it for a test run. If you like the results finish welding the extention on.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves