I'm new, I'm new...

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

I'm new, I'm new...

Postby BirdSong » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 am

Greetings all! Newbie to these forums, yet not new to outdoor travel life. Thank you for allowing me into The Inner Sanctum. Currently bedding down in my semi-modified Subaru Outback when I venture out. I've actually got in mind a half of an Outback body mounted on a frame dragging behind. Stop laughing at me, it actually 'looks' good in my mind. Logistically speaking, it's probably never gonna happen. So, onto smaller and better ideas, I'm really loving the Foamies. They really seem economical and lightweight enough for my car. I know there is a ton research, reading and homework I need to do however... I'm thinking: besides getting a hitch installed, should my first step be building a full scale cardboard?
BirdSong
Teardrop Inspector

Re: I'm new, I'm new...

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Welcome Birdsong. There re a couple trailers here made from the back halves of vehicles, so no one will laugh. But a foamie is easier to pull. !
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:28 pm

There are a fair number out Outback owners here. Yes you can use a Subaru body but you will pay a big weight penalty. One of the things I say with some regularity is, you are building an airplane not a tank!
Ours is a 6X10 all aluminum frame and is about 1800# loaded

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:05 am

Half of an Outback sounds great to me! ;)
Oh, and Miss Piggy tows along at over 100 mph all of the time , and we don't even know she is back there.
Weighs in at 1450 lbs fully loaded! :thinking: Beer, Ice, Wine, Tequila, Blender, Food, clothes, dishes,.....did I mention Beer & Ice?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi :beer: :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby ColoradoCody » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Hey Birdsong! I have an Outback too, and if my research is correct we should be able to tow 2,500 lbs with them. Not sure the year on yours, but mine is a 2012. By no means am I saying, don't mind the weight, but I think it'd be tough to build a TT over the 2k mark. Mine is still in progress, so TBD on the weight for mine but I know I'm on the heavier side already.
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves