Total newbie in IL: just lucked into an Arrow Little Chief!

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Total newbie in IL: just lucked into an Arrow Little Chief!

Postby Hilcandoit » Sat May 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Hello! Single lady with cat in rural Illinois. I started "guerrilla shopping" for a tiny camper and lucked out on the second try—knocked on a door and am now acquiring an old Arrow Little Chief for $300!!! I'm a total ignoramus, though I do have something of a camper mentor in my friend Cammy, also a 40something single woman and several states away—she fixed up a Serro Scotty.

Anyhow, the seller inherited this camper fairly recently and he does not have a title. I am Googling all such matters now, but if anybody can advise me in re: the proper format and wording of a bill of sale, that will be much appreciated.

Hillary
Hilcandoit
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Total newbie in IL: just lucked into an Arrow Little Chi

Postby mary and bob » Sat May 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Every state is different, so you need to check with the Motor Vehicle department in your state to see what they require for you to register it. It may require notorized paper work from the seller or other forms that need to be filled out. I once bought a pop-up camper from out of state, got a registration but later was told I could not get a title because the previous owner did not give it to me. He had lost it. Took over a year to get him to provide a notorized bill of sale. He had my money, so what did he care.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby mary and bob » Sat May 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Those older trailers typically leaked resulting in rot in the wood framing that you can't see. If there is any sign of water damage on the walls or ceiling you can be sure there is more damage you can't see. Right now I have a 20 year old truck camper in my yard that turned out to have plenty of rotten wood around the upper windows and floor of the sleeping area. Good thing is, it's not mine, belongs to a friend, so not my problem. I'm just letting him fix it here.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 am

Illinois is a nightmare, be prepared. Isn't cheap either. Costs as much for a trailer as it does a vehicle.

You basically have 2 choices:

Seller signs off on lost title and go through that disaster.

Or you simply process it as a home built project, some stupid paper work, inspection and a couple hundred dollars (which you have to pay either way, lost title route is more hassle and more costly).

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Hilcandoit » Sun May 14, 2017 10:14 am

Well, what a chorus of discouragement! I am undeterred. I plan to leave Illinois very soon anyway, so perhaps it can be registered elsewhere.
Hilcandoit
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Sun May 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Welcome to the site! If you post a photo or two of your Arrow Little Chief, maybe it'll draw more favorable opinions...or not. But, it'll let forum members address known problems, rather than conjectured faults. Who knows? I started out with a scrap-metal heap of a trailer frame, and have turned it into...a grander, larger, scrap metal frame with cabin. But, I love it, warts and all. You can feel the same about yours, too. It might just be a hidden gem.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves