Hello from Jim in Little Rock

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Jim in Little Rock

Postby JamesDixonLR » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Hello, all.
I'm in the looking at everything to see what I want to do stage of the process.
I've looked at a lot of ideas, some I felt I could do other were more "oh wow".
I'm currently looking at building a classic teardrop or grasshopper teardrop (not sure if that is redundant or a contradiction) on a 1720# HF trailer widened to 5 feet.
I've seen several success stories going that route. As it is my first, I plan to keep it simple and grasshoppers look simpler than the curves of a classic while only loosing some aerodynamics.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Dixon
Little Rock
JamesDixonLR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Hello from Jim in Little Rock

Postby pchast » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Welcome. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Hello from Jim in Little Rock

Postby working on it » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:55 pm

• Howdy! When I first started planning my build, I came to this site from first lurking at Expedition Portal, where "traditional teardrops" are not as common as squared-off designs, like "simples", "square teardrops", and "grasshopper" style trailers, as functionality over form is a prime motivation. Over here, at TnTTT, the traditional once was king, but "weekenders", "standies", and "foamies" progressively became more prominent. Now, "Cargo Conversions" are the latest craze. All forms have their benefits, and some drawbacks...it's whatever fits your needs is what you could choose, they're all good.
  • I initially chose a "grasshopper" as my desired form, until I saw that the "simple" was all I needed (or had room for, to squeeze in everything I wanted into a 4x8 platform structure). The vertically-stacked rear storage was needed, to fit everything in, and still have a low center of gravity, and room for a twin bed inside.I didn't have room for a deep upper shelf at the rear, since an A/C ducting system was to go there, instead of cupboards and the like. My ultimate goal was off road capability, so strength and compactness were favored, as I overbuilt everywhere, using strong, square, easy cuts, sacrificing aerodynamics for simplicity of assembly.
  • Whatever style you choose, there are great examples of every type here...or maybe you'll pioneer your own, unique, style. Good luck!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves