New from Missouri, headed to Colorado.

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New from Missouri, headed to Colorado.

Postby Foooch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi folks!

I just got back home to Missouri from a week long camping trip in Colorado. Camped out of my Jeep TJ while in the Ouray/Silverton/Telluride area, and it was fantastic.

I'm looking at taking the next step, now, and I'm just considering my options. I want to make a return trip next summer, and I'm really hoping to use something as a basecamp for the summer while I find a job and place to live permanently. I am considering building a small trailer to tow behind my Jeep (with a max towing capacity of 2,000 lbs), but I'm also looking into buying an old conversion van or something similar to turn into a small home on wheels. I'm not sure what route to take, but I figured I'd create an account here and dig in a bit to help me decide.

I'm eager to learn from you all, and thanks for having me!

-Wesley
Foooch
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New from Missouri, headed to Colorado.

Postby mcubberley » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:26 pm

Welcome! Sounds like quite the adventure. I would suggest listing your interests and strengths and doing some serious soul searching and take a few walks of self discovery. Do you like constructing or modifying? Are you good with wood tools or metal working tools? Do you have the space for a ground up build or do you need to "build in place" or in the elements? Do you have the time available to commit to a build or just enough to work on something that is mostly done? Do you want to tow or do you want to be self-contained in a motor vehicle?

I think if you run this list of questions and really consider what your strengths and interests are then you will likely come up with a solution that makes sense for you. Your budget will also effect your decision. Do you have the funds to reasonabl accomplish what you are looking for and still have enough to pay for all the unexpected stuff?

Good luck with your adventure and hope you find some good answers and information here.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby Foooch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks!

I'm still in the researching phase for sure. I have about $2,000 to get me started, with a budget set that will net me an extra $4,000 by January 1. I've always been good with sticking to budgets I set, provided nothing more immediate rains down on me in that time. That's my build money, hopefully, with the remaining budget after the first of the year going into savings to have a nice little fund to get me through summer.

I have a two bay shop at my house with a lift, access to any tool I can think of. I'm not a master by any means, but I'm decent with tools and pretty handy in the woodshop. I've got plenty of time--I work a 9-5, 5 day a week job, and I'm trying to be done a year from now. I understand that time gets a way from you pretty easily, and motivation can fade, but there's also not a hard deadline I need to hit.

I need to do more research on size, mainly. I'm pretty frugal, and I don't need a lot of space by any means, but I'm not sure I could live out of a teardrop for months on end, as much I like the thought of that. I just haven't been able to quite figure out size yet--the Jeep can only pull 2,000 lbs, and that's fully loaded. I imagine weight adds up quick, and that might not equate to as much space as I'd like, but that's what I'm trying to figure out.

At a certain point, buying an old E-350 van might make sense, but then a pretty decent chunk of the budget will go just towards getting the base vehicle.

This forum seems absolutely amazing, and I'm sure it'll be a huge help in me determining what I want. I know I can camp, I just don't know what my minimum space is to actually live. And short of just picking something and going for it, I'm not quite sure how to figure that out, either. What have I got to lose--it's just money, right? (:
Foooch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Wesley

Welcome and sounds like an interesting journey to say the least!
I am in STL and have a place in Gunnison,just over the hill from Montrose almost in your new neighborhood and I know the area fairly well so if I can help please don't hesitate to ask.

I would also look to the Western Slope probably before committing to hardware as it might be that you can snag something useful already there and not need to drag anything over the Divide in the first place?

I know that area is pretty filled with others looking to do what you are and maybe others are also leaving it behind and can provide you a local deal to start off.
I know that I have had great luck finding almost anything that I need materials wise in the Montrose/Gunnison area.

There are a lot of classifieds and small trailers and other possible tiny shelters for sale all over the place on the Western Slope.

Also I go out there every year and have a cabin so my Tug may be available if you need something heavier dragged out there?

Where there is the will there is always a way.

Ed
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Foooch » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks Ed!

I hadn't actually considered looking for something that's already out there, maybe I'll have to give it a look!
Foooch
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves