Newbie, Cedar Falls WA

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie, Cedar Falls WA

Postby nbwajdr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi all,
Ive been interested in teardrops for years and finally decided to take the plunge and build one. I have a Carson 4x8 utility trailer I rarely use, so plan to use that as the base. But...it has an angle iron rail on three sides, about a foot tall. Im toying with the idea of building the body on top of the rail and a false floor beneath for storage. But im concerned that the proportions will be off. Has anyone done this? I'd be interested to see pictures of any. A picture of the trailer is attached so you can see what I mean about the rails.

JDRoalkvamImage

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
nbwajdr
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie, Cedar Falls WA

Postby greygoos » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:49 am

I have seen it done on this forum but couldnt tell you the builders. 2 come to mind that have very deep storage areas.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby drhill » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:28 am

I remember seeing one or two build journals with trailers like that too, but can't find anything right now.

If you do a Google image search for teardrop camper on utility trailer you will see a few. I would think the ergonomics would be pretty poor with a door that high.

one wild idea might be to build a Kampmaster type design where the entry is through the rear. The bed area could be above the rails with storage beneath. The Kampmaster is in the design resources. A google search would give you some good images.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Juneaudave » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:28 am

That looks like a very nice trailer, but I'm not sure I would let the trailer be a constraint in my design at this point....Have you considered selling it and getting a 5 wide? Width makes a big difference (IMHO) in a teardrop and that is such a nice looking trailer I would think you could sell It and get something wider pretty easily....
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:16 pm

Juneaudave wrote:That looks like a very nice trailer, but I'm not sure I would let the trailer be a constraint in my design at this point....Have you considered selling it and getting a 5 wide? Width makes a big difference (IMHO) in a teardrop and that is such a nice looking trailer I would think you could sell It and get something wider pretty easily....

I agree with the above statement.
You will be so much further ahead money wise in the end.
And definitely 5" is a must.
I am in a cycle kart club and your trailer would be perfect. So if you do decide to sell it, let me know.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Remember a total reno or remodel on a house cost more in $ & time than building a new house. :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

nbwajdr wrote:Hi all,
Ive been interested in teardrops for years and finally decided to take the plunge and build one. I have a Carson 4x8 utility trailer I rarely use, so plan to use that as the base. But...it has an angle iron rail on three sides, about a foot tall. Im toying with the idea of building the body on top of the rail and a false floor beneath for storage. But im concerned that the proportions will be off. Has anyone done this? I'd be interested to see pictures of any. A picture of the trailer is attached so you can see what I mean about the rails.

JDRoalkvamImage

• In another thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69197, I commented about using the OP's little trailer as-is (only 40.5" wide x 48" long), using a 4'x 8' plywood sheet as the floor, but raised up over the existing fenders, creating a small space underfloor for storage. It would only be about 6 inches above the main frame, but questions were raised concerning the stability of even that small addition with the added height bumping the center of gravity upwards.
  • 40.5 x 48 HF trailer.jpg
    40.5 x 48 HF trailer.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
    small HF trailer; possible to use 4x8 sheet spaced above fenders?
  • I countered with a proposal to make the upper structure very light, with thin plywood as a veneer over foam, or PMF over foam. In your trailer's situation, with it being a much larger and presumably more stable platform, then a taller underfloor storage area wouldn't really impact the stability. I would build it as you stated, first constructing the 1 ft. high storage compartment, with or without a hinged access door inside, then constructing the upper cabin from a 4x8 sheet of ply (or other structural material, of your choice), with a sloped front, and the roof angling upwards toward the rear (if needed). The rear wall can be either 5 ft high (if the roof was spec'd to be flat), or 6 ft high (if the roof is angled upwards, and filler pieces - triangular- are inserted above the 4x8 sheet.
  • Since this trailer is based on a 4x8, then the max inside width will probably be <48" (mine is 46.5"), and you'll either have to get a twin mattress (38"x 75" is usual) sized tri-fold (so it can be folded and used as a seat when the bed platform isn't utilized), or have a custom tri-fold made as wide as the interior and 75" long. The remainder of the cabin rear will have twin side cabinets (up to 24" deep) for galley usage, flanking the central rear door (the wire-mesh ramp can be upside as a walk-up entry aid).
  • This is the way I planned to build a 6x12 landscaper' trailer, that I almost got cheap, but was sold before I called back. It would still work on a 4x8, especially since heavy items could be stored up front and below the bed/sitting area, and the tall rear entry leading to a sitting area (convertible to a bed, by pulling an extension platform from underneath the tri-fold bed) is certainly better than most TD or TTT's entry doors (you could even buy a pre-made mobile home door, including frame, for < $200).
  • carson 4x8 transformed into sqareback with storage underfloor.jpg
    carson 4x8 transformed into sqareback with storage underfloor.jpg (228.67 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
    very do-able; vertical door with 24" deep step-in (4' of bed is stowed away).
  • With an outward-opening door, the galley cabinets will be accessible fro the inside, and, with the bed/platform stowed away, you could cook and eat meals inside (perhaps a venta-hood inside?) in inclement weather. Part of the underbed storage could be utilized for an A/C unit, which could be under the bed (my LG is 11.125" tall), or in a tongue box (with opening into the cabin). I wish I had been able to build this way, at the time, but I really thought I could fit everything I wanted into my more cramped 4w x 4h x 8l format. Your under-rail trailer storage (proposal) could've been my salvation, with 16 extra cubic feet of storage, and a raised platform format to allow easier entry, and standing/sitting room when needed.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby nbwajdr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:57 am

working on it wrote:
nbwajdr wrote:Hi all,

JDRoalkvamImage

• In another thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=69197, I commented about using the OP's little trailer as-is (only 40.5" wide x 48" long), using a 4'x 8' plywood sheet as the floor, but raised up over the existing fenders, creating a small space underfloor for storage. It would only be about 6 inches above the main frame, but questions were raised concerning the stability of even that small addition with the added height bumping the center of gravity upwards.
  • 40.5 x 48 HF trailer.jpg
    small HF trailer; possible to use 4x8 sheet spaced above fenders?
  • I countered with a proposal to make the upper structure very light, with thin plywood as a veneer over foam, or PMF over foam. In your trailer's situation, with it being a much larger and presumably more stable platform, then a taller underfloor storage area wouldn't really impact the stability. I would build it as you stated, first constructing the 1 ft. high storage compartment, with or without a hinged access door inside, then constructing the upper cabin from a 4x8 sheet of ply (or other structural material, of your choice), with a sloped front, and the roof angling upwards toward the rear (if needed). The rear wall can be either 5 ft high (if the roof was spec'd to be flat), or 6 ft high (if the roof is angled upwards, and filler pieces - triangular- are inserted above the 4x8 sheet.
  • Since this trailer is based on a 4x8, then the max inside width will probably be <48" (mine is 46.5"), and you'll either have to get a twin mattress (38"x 75" is usual) sized tri-fold (so it can be folded and used as a seat when the bed platform isn't utilized), or have a custom tri-fold made as wide as the interior and 75" long. The remainder of the cabin rear will have twin side cabinets (up to 24" deep) for galley usage, flanking the central rear door (the wire-mesh ramp can be upside as a walk-up entry aid).
  • This is the way I planned to build a 6x12 landscaper' trailer, that I almost got cheap, but was sold before I called back. It would still work on a 4x8, especially since heavy items could be stored up front and below the bed/sitting area, and the tall rear entry leading to a sitting area (convertible to a bed, by pulling an extension platform from underneath the tri-fold bed) is certainly better than most TD or TTT's entry doors (you could even buy a pre-made mobile home door, including frame, for < $200).
  • carson 4x8 transformed into sqareback with storage underfloor.jpg
    very do-able; vertical door with 24" deep step-in (4' of bed is stowed away).
  • With an outward-opening door, the galley cabinets will be accessible fro the inside, and, with the bed/platform stowed away, you could cook and eat meals inside (perhaps a venta-hood inside?) in inclement weather. Part of the underbed storage could be utilized for an A/C unit, which could be under the bed (my LG is 11.125" tall), or in a tongue box (with opening into the cabin). I wish I had been able to build this way, at the time, but I really thought I could fit everything I wanted into my more cramped 4w x 4h x 8l format. Your under-rail trailer storage (proposal) could've been my salvation, with 16 extra cubic feet of storage, and a raised platform format to allow easier entry, and standing/sitting room when needed.
I hadn't thought about the added height of entry by building with such a deep false floor. Im still playing with the idea of using the 4x8 I've got and just might build a 5x8 teardrop on the rails of the trailer and the false floor below. The trailer is stout enough and the added weight would be minimal. I'll probably build a flip down step for entry. Im still playing with plans and drawings. Open to any ideas...

nbwajdr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby clamlamp » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi i have a carry on trailer and thinking of doing the same thing for storage. Looking forward to what you come up with

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
clamlamp
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:27 am

I had a four-wide for nine years. Confining for two peeps.

The Traditional teardrop design works extremely well. One of those traditional elements is door height. They are comfortable to enter and exit. I think adding another 18” of door height would be a bit painful.

Harbor Freights $45 sawsall would take the rail off. But think 5’. Unless you and your mate are skinny.

T

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves