Hello from the East Mountains NM

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Re: Hello from the East Mountains NM

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 am

tony.latham wrote:Gotcha. For what it's worth, I like my commercial doors. They work well. There's enough window that you do need drapes unless you don't mind the bears creeping up and doing the peeping-tom routine.

Thank you Tony.

The bears look in, I look out, who should be scardier? I suppose we could put a mirror on my side of the camper and achieve a similar effect. :shock: Thank you for the tip on drapes. They're in Shelly's department, she's the interior designer (good taste and good at sewing).

We like the look of the commercial doors. (We are thinking of painting the exterior of the camper silver, with black trim, to match her Jeep Wrangler, so the black doors should go well.) If the cost really is comparable, that is probably the way we will go.

On the other hand, if we do go with an 8 foot long trailer (instead of ten) and build a large tongue box for storage, the weight and balance may force us to move the axle forward, in which case custom shaped doors might allow us larger doors without interfering with the fender. Something like the doors on the Jeep Wranglers, where the lower corner is cut on the two door models to allow clearance for the fender.

I also just learned about Wiley windows (from folks on this forum), and they look like they'd allow the windows to be left open on rainy nights, something to consider for Rocky Mountain Summer nights. But (I think) that means building custom windows to go with custom doors.

On the other, other hand, commercial doors should be water-proof, something I'd hope to achieve with custom doors, but with less of a guarantee.

Thank you for the confirmation commercial doors work well! :)
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves