New Project

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New Project

Postby xm41907 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Hi. I'm new to the site and want to introduce myself. I was planning to get a trailer and build a teardrop, but I believe the trailer I got is too small and not arranged right for one, so I'm interested in alternative ideas. I will be pulling it with a Dodge Caliber, so that's why I got such a small trailer. Here it is. Any ideas? It doesn't need to be a camper with sleeping quarters, but I would like some sort of kitchen/storage option.

00V0V_dOEMjPr7ZOa_600x450.jpg
00V0V_dOEMjPr7ZOa_600x450.jpg (66.28 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

00Q0Q_kRG8XQztjCo_600x450.jpg
00Q0Q_kRG8XQztjCo_600x450.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

01313_en6qJaubB2y_600x450.jpg
01313_en6qJaubB2y_600x450.jpg (59.75 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
xm41907
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Project

Postby working on it » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm

• Welcome to this forum. Though open to all trailer fans, the main focus of TnTTT seems to be trending towards larger and larger trailer size, and the traditional 4x8 size (or smaller, as in your starting platform's case, is going out of favor. I agree with that, partly, because a small trailer doesn't have the room inside for multiple occupants, gear, nor indoor plumbing (specifically, toilets), needed by most of the forum members here. As I am older, and my knees/back are now bad, I sorta wish my 4x8 was a 6x12. That's why most are building larger, and in the case of cargo conversions, sometimes huge. I built what was supposed to be small, and on a 4x8 platform, but at 2020 lbs, it is bordering on heavy/huge; it started out as 50"x60" with 8" wheels, and it was extensively modified/added to/transmogrified until it has become so different from its' original state.
  • 86927 it started as junk, and it kept growing and getting bigger/better
  • Your small platform can either have a larger platform over the body, as it is now, if you intend to sleep inside it, but you seem to just want storage/kitchen/and perhaps a rooftop tent. Though occasionally one of those are shown here, your best guide might be found on http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum, where those builds are very common. The members, both here and there, can answer/solve practically any problem you might face, though I'm sure your mechanical aptitude alone, can get your trailer built in a fine fashion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a member on both sites, so go ahead and show us your build (on both sites) if you plan to go that route. Good luck with your plans.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby xm41907 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks "Working On It". I've registered on there and you're right, there are a lot more smaller expedition trailer builds on that site. I'm thinking that will be the direction I take with this trailer. It's just too small for anything with sleeping quarters. Now that I've got my car setup for towing, I might keep this one simple so I can use it as a utility trailer, then keep an eye out for something bigger for use as a camper down the road.
xm41907
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bc toys » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 am

welcome to this great site you might want to build you a kitchen on this trailer with pull out boxes and have a tent fold out on top if its a 4x8 when it folds out you would have 2 extra feet on each side would give you 8x8 tent and if you build it with a 2in lip you can keep the tent staked down and fold it up in the top when you pack up just remove poles and go
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby xm41907 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm

It's actually a 57' x 44' trailer. Too small for even a fold out tent. I definitely intend to make a kitchen system for it. Beyond that, probably storage for my tents and other camping gear. I'm thinking I will install a Harbor Freight cargo carrier to the front. Possibly add hitch for a bike rack to the back.
xm41907
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Xanthoman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:28 am

Well, depending on how invasive you want to modify...I know what sort I would make out of this trailer. Especially on such a small car. I would take off the entire upper assembly and just use the axles and tongue. (May have to cut some welds, not sure how those are attached...and move the axle back). I would then build a lightweight torsion box frame out of 1/8" plywood or floor laminate about three inches deep and make it about 7' long and keep the 44" width. Use closed cell spray urethane foam (like FoamItGreen kit) and spray the torsion box with two inches worth. Then build an upper shape similarly with 1/8"exterior panels and 1" foam on inside. Make it about 44" high to match width, and round the front corner like a teardrop. At the back I would (because it's pretty short) do a long guide rail system of casters on angle to pipes (or wood rails) and make a giant slide in box that fills nearly the whole cavity and slides out and sits on stilts. This box drawer would have then kitchen setup and you just put a pop up tent over the whole back end. The void space is now bed accessible. To keep it lightweight but strong do everything with 1/2" foam with fiberglass mesh for skins as sandwich structures for the entire drawer kitchen storage item. You can then coat this with rosin paper/emlerglue/polyurethane papier-mâché to make it look nice. (See lightweight van cabinets by Mystery 13 van guy on YouTube...or something like that; it's awesome). (For a good caster rail system check out Hector Acevedo's tablesaw on woodgears.ca in the reader project area). Rather intense, but it would make for a very lightweight trailer build and keep it highly functional should you want to go the bed route. Good luck!
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greygoos » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 am

There are several builds on here that use smaller trailers. One is a lightweight sip style build. Use the search bar up top. My next build will be on a smaller trailer and will have a soft top that folds out. It will be more suitable for smaller cars.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby xm41907 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Xanthoman wrote:Well, depending on how invasive you want to modify...I know what sort I would make out of this trailer. Especially on such a small car. I would take off the entire upper assembly and just use the axles and tongue. (May have to cut some welds, not sure how those are attached...and move the axle back). I would then build a lightweight torsion box frame out of 1/8" plywood or floor laminate about three inches deep and make it about 7' long and keep the 44" width. Use closed cell spray urethane foam (like FoamItGreen kit) and spray the torsion box with two inches worth. Then build an upper shape similarly with 1/8"exterior panels and 1" foam on inside. Make it about 44" high to match width, and round the front corner like a teardrop. At the back I would (because it's pretty short) do a long guide rail system of casters on angle to pipes (or wood rails) and make a giant slide in box that fills nearly the whole cavity and slides out and sits on stilts. This box drawer would have then kitchen setup and you just put a pop up tent over the whole back end. The void space is now bed accessible. To keep it lightweight but strong do everything with 1/2" foam with fiberglass mesh for skins as sandwich structures for the entire drawer kitchen storage item. You can then coat this with rosin paper/emlerglue/polyurethane papier-mâché to make it look nice. (See lightweight van cabinets by Mystery 13 van guy on YouTube...or something like that; it's awesome). (For a good caster rail system check out Hector Acevedo's tablesaw on woodgears.ca in the reader project area). Rather intense, but it would make for a very lightweight trailer build and keep it highly functional should you want to go the bed route. Good luck!

Cool idea! I may just consider the pull out setup to expand the square footage. I really like the foam cabinet idea! Thanks!
xm41907
Teardrop Inspector

Postby xm41907 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:23 pm

My first change is going to be reinforcing the tongue. I don't have a welder though, so I'm looking for ways to do this without welding.
xm41907
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves