New guy from California

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New guy from California

Postby DavidMcC » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Hey there gang, new guy here....little history for you. I started out wanting to do the 6x10 enclosed trailer conversion...that would have been cool to do lol. Well that didn't work out so well pulling it into the garage and found the garage door hangs to low. So I started looking at tear drop trailers but quickly shut this idea down because in order for the wife to join me she is going to want to stand up in the rig...with a teardrop that wasn't going to happen, not to mention I didn't have a trailer to build upon. Well I have been saving and scrimping with the goal that I would get a tent trailer.....gotta tell ya, not real keen on that one to be honest what with everything I heard about mice etc....and then to only be able to use the trailer a few times a year, just seemed like more work than I wanted. Then yesterday I am looking at these tear drop builds and I went onto you tube and this wasn't a tear drop but it got me to thinking.....Here is a guy that put together a "camper" in 13 mins that's right he put it together. So this got me to thinking I could do this on a bigger scale. I figured I would get a 5x8 utility trailer (this can fit in my garage) and I can take (I will give you the quick idea) and make walls 4x8 out of 7/32 underlayment with a 1.5" insulation sheet between them and make it so they drop into some kind of channel and all the walls and ceiling will be done this way and then they will tie together with wing nuts and washers. This will snug them up tight. I will make a couple of windows in the walls that will be able to open (haven't figured that one out yet right now its just a piece of polycarbonate) and then on the back where the door is I will have outlets which means I will run electric I don't want to do the battery thing I want to run off of campground electric. The trailer has a gate or ramp that I will drop and put on stands like a porch. And then when I travel I take it down strap it into the trailer and go....an added plus is I can use the trailer for hauls or whatever. Kind of excited incase you couldn't tell. What do you think?
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New guy from California

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 am

and I went onto you tube and this wasn't a tear drop but it got me to thinking.....Here is a guy that put together a "camper" in 13 mins

Every project has its own set of challenges. My first reaction (you asked) was this type of construction would be a problem to keep from leaking. My second reaction was that fact that none of the campgrounds we like to camp in have power. In fact most of the time we boondock. A 12V system is a must for us. I assume you live on the east coast so it's probably different.

It might help if you put up a link to the Youtube video you cite.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby DavidMcC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:57 am

Hi Tony, actually I'm from California. The trailer will be stored in my garage during the cold months, and used during the hot months, so I'm not too concerned about the weather... Now I will end up eating my words lol. I will happily post a link tonight after work.
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DavidMcC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 pm

DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TomD » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:30 pm

[quote="DavidMcC"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsegKBvS3ho[/quote]

All manner of tents here...https://tepuitents.com/

This site gives an idea of the possibilities for add on’s.
TomD
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DavidMcC » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Thanks Tom. I just found this today and I am probably going to go this route, http://www.flatbedtents.com/about.html
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Aviatorbrew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 am

Welcome David, central cali here

Here is my standup type of tear, our goals seem to be about the same

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=69077
Andy & Mandy's Luv Shack!
64" x 12' standie,
Cheyenne Wyoming
2018 4 runner
Aviatorbrew