HI, I hope to make something out of this frame I bought

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

HI, I hope to make something out of this frame I bought

Postby tjlmbklr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:27 pm

My name in Terry, my closest friends and family call me TJ. Last weekend my wife and I took the plunge to finally achieve our goal and that is to start a business. After years of working for the man, I hope to finally be able to be that man.

Although I love the RV life and the outdoors, this project will not be about that, it will however require some help from knowledgeable individuals like found hear on ttntt.

Look for threads from me soon and watch our progress on what we (hopefully) do with this old pop-up trailer.

So without further adieu, my $150 pop-up trailer

https://imgur.com/a/ClM6X
tjlmbklr
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HI, I hope to make something out of this frame I bought

Postby Padilen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:43 am

Looks like an Apache frame. Just like the one I made into a utility trailer that I used for years. By use I mean often over loading hauling wood ! I used it often in winter and road salt did take its toll. Anything used in winter here dies prematurely if you consider 40+ years premature! My frame was a 68, I got it in 98 and used it till 2012(?) When my friend bought it to redo! They are a very good frame, and you got a good deal. They pull very nice, very balanced frame.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby tjlmbklr » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Padilen wrote:Looks like an Apache frame. Just like the one I made into a utility trailer that I used for years. By use I mean often over loading hauling wood ! I used it often in winter and road salt did take its toll. Anything used in winter here dies prematurely if you consider 40+ years premature! My frame was a 68, I got it in 98 and used it till 2012(?) When my friend bought it to redo! They are a very good frame, and you got a good deal. They pull very nice, very balanced frame.

This is very encouraging. I am from the upper midwest and salt takes it's toll on things here as well.

I was planning on adding a bit more bracing to the frame mainly because there is too long of a span in some areas for a sub-floor not to sag.

Thoughts?
tjlmbklr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:54 am

Don't think they sagged as pop ups. But wouldn't hurt anything if it gives you peace of mind. While it's a bare frame I'd paint it with the best stuff you can afford. Then after sub floor is on I'd spray the whole bottom with under coat or something !

Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves