Hello from Alabama

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Alabama

Postby Whit30 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am

What a great resource you have here! I am 60 and retired. My plans are to chuck it all all go full time at some point. I'm starting with a 2005 Chevy Silverado with a nice ARE shell. It has an LED lighting strip and a couple of cigarette lighter plugs, all running off the starting battery right now. I have engineered sufficient but easily reconfigureable sleeping/living/storage arrangements in the shell. I would like to install a D.C. System that for now would handle lights, electronics charging, and a good fan, with 100-200 w of solar.
Eventually I would like to add a small trailer to the rig but for now I'm going with what I have. Small spaces are alike in many ways so there's good info for me here I believe. I've been lurking and reading here for at least a week. I hope you guys will tolerate a truck shell guy w small trailer aspirations.

So that brings me to my first question. Mods if I need to post this elsewhere on the forum please let me know or feel free to put it where it belongs.
Being in the south I know that if I stay in this climate anytime from May to Nov I will need AC a lot. I have figured out a way to carry and quickly install a simple 5000 btu AC for those times when there is shore power.
Dumb Q #1
Which side of the vehicle should the shore power come in, streetside or curbside? Does it matter? Where do the majority of normal RVs put it? I figure most campgrounds w power would probably cater to those folks.
Whit30
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Alabama

Postby bc toys » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 am

welcome 1st as for the power location if I was using a shell I would back it in the spot and have my power coming out the drivers side
2nd for those hot months I go to higher elevations
hope this helps and also I can't speak for all but you can stay here as long as you like
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Whit30 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:49 pm

bc toys wrote:welcome 1st as for the power location if I was using a shell I would back it in the spot and have my power coming out the drivers side
2nd for those hot months I go to higher elevations
hope this helps and also I can't speak for all but you can stay here as long as you like

Thank you sir! Higher ground is surely called for, but if you happen to be south of the Mason Dixon line It can get hot even in April, May, and October.
Whit30
Teardrop Inspector

Postby spacer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:21 am

Hello from the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area! :D
spacer
Teardrop Builder

Postby jondbar628 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Quite a few A/C methods are explained in the different forums. I'm not sure there is a "one-size-fits-all" best layout. Don't have A/C on my build (yet), but from what I've seen, one of the most popular is hauling the A/C unit as an "accessory", and porting it into the TD via insulated flex hoses. I have allowed for that method in the future. It seems to me this method keeps the build simpler, allows a little more flexibility, and can easily be added "post build". On the down side, you do have to set it up at the campsite every time you want A/C, as opposed to just turning on a built-in system. Plus as we age, do you want to horse a 5000BTU unit around a campsite?..........food for thought.........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves