First timer from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

First timer from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Postby CajunHoss87 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:41 am

My purpose for building a camper trailer is to go on fishing, hunting and family camping trips and bring my kayaks.
I am looking to build a 6x10 camper on a harbor freight 4x8 folder I use for hauling my kayaks.
I am looking for suggestions and pictures of campers build on that frame.
At this point I have in mind to frame the floor with 2x4s laid on their narrow end and attach the existing fenders to the subfloor where the supports would be. Then coat the bottom of the floor with fence and barn paint from tractor supply.
I want to make the walls capable of holding two 65lb kayaks on racks mounted to the roof.

Given:
Budget of $500
$250 needs to come from homedepot bc of gift cards
$250 from personal fund.
I want to build a 6x10 camper with two 45 degree chamfers instead of teardrop shaped and a galley for basics.

List of unknowns:
Most economical/recommended wood for 2x4s for subfloor.
"....wood and size for building the sidewalls and allow on for ~150-200 lb cargo rack capacity.
"....wood for plywood walls." I have read Baltic birch is good but I have Homedepot gift cards to burn.
Plans for such design and how to get weight ~700 lb unloaded.
Roof waterproofing. I.e. Paint for food and walls.
Adhesives used to bond joints and seal for painting.
Fasteners recommended and hinges resommended.
Cheap vents, Windows, and doors. I believe I want to build the door out of plywood. Weatheratripping is another unknown.

I will search the old posts but any experience left below is very appreciated.
CajunHoss87
Teardrop Inspector

Re: First timer from Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Postby pchast » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 pm

2x4s are probably excessive weight for the structure IMHO.
:thinking:
As has been said; you are building more of an airplane
than a house.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jondbar628 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:32 pm

What Pete said............Think airplane structure, or "unibody" if you prefer. You want to stay at around 700lbs dry weight. But an HF 1750 # rated trailer comes in at about 260lbs + or - unmodified. So you're down to 440lbs for everything else, not including any trailer mods. I humbly suggest you dive deeply into the research here. Woodies, foamies, hybrids. Lotta stuff on strength-to-weight properties of different materials and techniques. If you're like most of us, your end result will be quite different than your original idea. I'm certainly not trying to discourage you - on the contrary, learn, try things out, adapt, adjust. That's the meat & potatoes fun of this group. Everyone's here to help & encourage.............jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello CajunHoss! I'm from White Castle - born and raised. Unfortunately, I now reside in Central Florida. I miss Louisiana - the people, food, mosquitoes! Well, not the mosquitoes but everything else. Welcome aboard!
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves