The Joy Of Information Overload

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

The Joy Of Information Overload

Postby The1Brewster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Hello everyone. I am officially addicted to learning all I can as I prepare to build my first TD. From YouTube to Pinterest and everything in between I'm soaking it all in. The decisions I've made so far are the 5 x 8 Heavy Duty Ironton Trailer instead of the Harbor Freight 4 x 8 trailer. My woman and I want the queen size bed. My woman and I are hobby woodworkers so we want our TD to be finished wood inside and out. I'm still vacillating whether to buy doors or build my own. If I build my own, I'm still gonna have slider windows in each door and I'm gonna have a sunroof like the Wyoming Woody.

I live near Seattle and we plan on making some serious long trips around the country in our future so I want it to be weatherproof. My woman and will be pulling it behind my RAV4.

I'd like some opinions on extending the 5 X 8 wooden floor to 9 or even 10 feet long on the 5 X 8 Ironton. I was thinking about doing this with wood. I'll split it to some degree with the front and back. I might change my mind though after I hear some opinions from you seasoned TD builders and users.

Okay, I have the gift of gab so I'll bring this to a close for now. I'm so glad to now be a part of the TD community. :D

The1Brewster
The1Brewster
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Joy Of Information Overload

Postby kykate » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Welcome, Brewster! :D We are in south central WA, in the Columbia Gorge, and just starting on our build. We are using a home built trailer, from a previous project. it is currently 4'-8" by 6'. We are going to extend it to 10' long. My husband will be welding the additional length on. We were just talking about those details last night. I will see if I can get him to post a drawing of how he wants to do it.
Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Re: The Joy Of Information Overload

Postby jschrotenboer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:14 am

I am totally in your same boat as well! I haven't officially started my build thread but my Ironton 5x8 arrived a couple days ago and I am still trying to decide how to extend it properly. I'd like to start building a Grumman 2 style on it but would like not to totally sacrifice galley/storage in length if possible. I may have some ability with wood, but steel/trailers are out of my league. Whatever I do, I don't want it to compromise the strength of the trailer and end result.

I've seen three different approaches so far that may work for me:

While I am at it, I am also going to:

I will need some more help choosing those items as well! Does anyone have recommendations? I'd really like to make some decisions and place some orders!

Josiah
jschrotenboer
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves