Foamie fanatic? Newbie from Maine

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Foamie fanatic? Newbie from Maine

Postby swaggerdesign » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm starting to think I may need medication to fix this. I fall asleep dreaming about foam and curves, lift mechanisms and weight distribution. I have plenty of design experience, even a little CAD experience but actual construction? Not so much, unless you count renovations. But when you don't know what can't be done... You find a way.

The plan: I'm hoping to get a vehicle that I can live in 3-4 months out of the year in moderate climes while Maine is a winter wasteland. Sorry, this last winter was bad! I've got @ 10 years until retirement so plenty of time to perfect the rig. I'm only just playing with materials and doing research. Form follows function and is usually determined by adhesives (That is about all I learned in architecture school!) Right now I'm leaning toward the shepherd wagon/ vardo type of trailer with a lift top roof, which is stupid since I top out at @ 5' short. But I like the idea of clerestory windows you can put away. Hey, at this point, it isn't even drawings but I have the appointment to get the hitch welded to the Subaru next week so tiptoe steps.

The particulars: better educated than is good for anyone, weird mix of city/ country girl, crafty (I like to keep my hands busy), I've spent way too long being responsible and am looking forward to cutting loose and having some adventures soon. Happy to have fellow adventurers!

No doubt I will have tons of questions, I'm blown away by the wealth of knowledge here, can't wait to dig through everyone's galleries.
Lisette
swaggerdesign
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Foamie fanatic? Newbie from Maine

Postby greygoos » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 am

Good luck with your build. Lots of people on here to share their knowledge.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby timhill28 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:05 pm

That sounds interesting stuff. I'd be interested to see how it goes. Good luck and have fun
timhill28
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:10 pm

If you haven't already done so, look here (pg1) for folding roofs: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969 Just about anything that you can do in wood, you can now do in foam.

Look also at the bottom of page 5 in that thread to see a vardo with a folding roof. ...No particulars for that one; so, I didn't list it on Pg 1, with the rest.

Best Wishes!!!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby timhill28 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:04 pm

S. Heisley wrote:If you haven't already done so, look here (pg1) for folding roofs: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969 Just about anything that you can do in wood, you can now do in foam.

Look also at the bottom of page 5 in that thread to see a vardo with a folding roof. ...No particulars for that one; so, I didn't list it on Pg 1, with the rest.

Best Wishes!!!

That's a nice project thread!
timhill28
Teardrop Builder

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 pm

timhill28 wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:If you haven't already done so, look here (pg1) for folding roofs: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969 Just about anything that you can do in wood, you can now do in foam.

Best Wishes!!!

That's a nice project thread!

Thanks! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Aren't there b-b-b-b-bears in Maine?

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member