new member from san antonio, TX

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

new member from san antonio, TX

Postby Stainless 2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 am

Hi everyone! I am Robert. I am in San Antonio, and really wish I had found this gem of a forum before beginning my build...lol I decided early this year that I wanted to scrap a pop up I had purchased years ago to scratch build a camping trailer suitable to pull down 60 miles of beach accessible to 4 wheel drive only due to large areas of soft deep sand. I bought the Skamper pop up due to its' lower weight and wide tires, and very low cost due to a lift mechanism issue. I replaced the problematic components of the lift and was able to use a warehouse to get a full assessment of the damage, which was relatively minor.

I rented a pop up from Adventure USA, and took it to the beach. The narrow tires only allowed me to get about 5 miles down the beach with my Jeep before I was worried about burying the thing to the axles in the soft sand. The set up and takedown was okay, but I was liking the idea less and less. Needless to say, the deeper I got into my pop up the less I liked the idea of set up and take down in high wind conditions, and the canvas replacement was going to be problematic and expensive.

I decided to take it down to the frame and start a TTT more suited to my needs and liking. I have a construction and mechanical background, though not to the degree of precision of many of the fine builders I have seen here. I decided that weight was my main concern, but still wanted a TTT larger than a 4 x 8. I chose 22 gauge steel framing of the type I had used in a few commercial jobs. I will work on a build diary to document the steps taken so far. I am now VERY certain that this is going to be a prototype and my first TTT build after delving deeper into this excellent forum...lol

Anyway, this is my long winded way to say HELLO!!!!!
Stainless 2
Teardrop Builder

Re: new member from san antonio, TX

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Welcome! You will find lots of help here.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Re: new member from san antonio, TX

Postby retep » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. Great background story. Look forward to your build.

You will find the best advice available here

Cheers
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
retep
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves