Newbies from Cary, NC

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbies from Cary, NC

Postby Ted+Teresa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:39 pm

Hello! We are Teresa (writing now in 1st person) and Ted. We live in Cary, NC, which is in the Raleigh area. We are at the very beginning of our teardrop build adventure. So far, all we have is Tony Latham's book, the Generic Benroy plans, and hope!

I (Teresa) grew up in Texas. My family had a pop-up camper, and we went camping almost every summer in Colorado. Once, we spent 3 weeks going all the way to Oregon and back to visit my dad's relatives. We went in a station wagon with my mom, dad, aunt, uncle, and 4 of us kids!! Yep! Four adults and 4 kids in a station wagon and a pop-up for 3 full weeks! I think that trip pushed my dear aunt to her limits... Those were the best times we spent together as a family. Ted's family went "camping" in cabins by a lake in upstate NY.

When we got married, we bought a tent. We went tent camping with our daughters until the oldest was a senior in high school. By that time, we were tired of sleeping on the ground and it was steaming hot and stormy every time. And the last time we went camping, we got attacked by some crazy big European hornets in the mountains of NC. I don't think we've been camping since then, but we have missed it.

Last year my sister bought a NuCamp TAG teardrop. I had never seen one before. She pulls it by herself in a Subaru and has been camping for weeks at a time in Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado. I was immediately intrigued and envious. I started researching and watching way too many YouTube videos. (Cosmo Weems - your videos about the Vistabule were some of the first I watched.) I quickly discovered that people build these! We can't afford to buy one, but Ted has the tools and the skills. (He used to work in construction, and he might again very, very soon. He's helped build houses from the ground up, and he's worked as an electrician and in plumbing. Pretty much the only thing he hasn't done is HVAC and welding.) I set about trying to convince him that he wanted to build one.

He wasn't interested at first (and honestly didn't have the time because of his job), but then we saw one when we drove through the campground at the Grand Canyon last year. It was a simple DIY build. He said, "That's really cute!" and in his voice, I heard, "Well, I can do THAT!" He started half paying attention to videos over my shoulder. He was really impressed with Michael Foster's Camp EZ. So now he has some time on his hands thanks to COVID killing his job and the entire industry (aviation), and he said, "If you bring me plans, I will build one." (I will be the helper though. I want to be part of it.)

I immediately ordered Tony Latham's book, and Ted sat down and read half of it the first day it came in. Now, I have to hold him back! He's ready to start tomorrow, but we have so many decisions to make! The more we read, the more we realize there's so much that we don't know. Every question seems to lead to a dozen more questions. Just reading that we have to plan the galley before we do anything else led to several hours of research on ice chest vs refrigerator. (We decided to wire it for a fridge, use the cooler we have, and build the space to accommodate either, if that's an option. We still don't really know!)

We WILL be asking lots of questions in this wonderful forum, and are very grateful for what we can already see is a wonderful community of experts helping everyone. Thank you in advance!

Our biggest restriction besides a tight budget is the tow vehicle. We've been wanting a truck for awhile, but we have the most basic Ford Escape out there. It's the 2.5L 2WD. It has a max trailer weight of 1500 pounds, and a max GCWR of 5,374 pounds. We can't seem to find a formula for how to know exactly how much we can actually tow safely (loaded). Is it possible to build a trailer that we can tow with the vehicle we own? If so, what are we going to have to do without? How do we keep the weight down but the sturdiness up? I recently read on this forum about foamies. I had never heard of them before! Is that the way we should go, or can we do ok with a more standard build?

So, that's our introduction. We're really excited about this project. It's something we can do together now and enjoy together after it's built. It's giving us so much to look forward to during this gloomy time. Thanks for reading, and we look forward to learning from all of you!
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbies from Cary, NC

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:58 pm

I don’t know if I added the finished weight in my book but it’s 1325 pounds. You could shave a few pounds by building the bulkheads using sandwiched construction. But it won’t be much.

Please holler if I can answer any questions.

It’s really great to sense your enthusiasm.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ted+Teresa » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:03 pm

tony.latham wrote:I don’t know if I added the finished weight in my book but it’s 1325 pounds. You could shave a few pounds by building the bulkheads using sandwiched construction. But it won’t be much.

Please holler if I can answer any questions.

It’s really great to sense your enthusiasm.

Tony

Thank you so much! :)
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Welcome. :D

This list of finished trailers will help provide some direction...
Figure another 2-300 lbs for food and clothes depending on
your final design and personal plans. ( and whether you have
dutch oven cooking plans ) A constant considered decision
process is needed to maintain the lightest construction.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Ted+Teresa wrote:Our biggest restriction besides a tight budget is the tow vehicle. We've been wanting a truck for awhile, but we have the most basic Ford Escape out there. It's the 2.5L 2WD. It has a max trailer weight of 1500 pounds, and a max GCWR of 5,374 pounds. We can't seem to find a formula for how to know exactly how much we can actually tow safely (loaded). Is it possible to build a trailer that we can tow with the vehicle we own? If so, what are we going to have to do without? How do we keep the weight down but the sturdiness up? I recently read on this forum about foamies. I had never heard of them before! Is that the way we should go, or can we do ok with a more standard build?

Welcome to the nuthouse!

The short answer is yes, you absolutely can build a comfortable trailer that your Escape can easily tow. Foam construction is very simple, lightweight, and incredibly strong. I'm not sure if I could find it... (perhaps this might jog someone else's memory) there was a fellow some years ago who built a test panel of canvas (PMF) wrapped foam maybe the size of an ironing board, then laid it across two chairs or some similar such thing and actually stood on it! There are dozens and dozens of examples of foam trailers built by members of this forum that are well under 1000#. There are several that are towed behind motorcycles and even a couple behind bicycles!

Happy camping!

:vroom:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Ted+Teresa » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:36 am

pchast wrote:Welcome. :D

Thank you! I don't see the list. Am I missing it?
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ted+Teresa » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:40 am

@Rob - Thank you for the information! We are definitely going to have to read more about foam construction.
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rjgimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:36 pm

Ted+Teresa wrote:
pchast wrote:Welcome. :D

Thank you! I don't see the list. Am I missing it?

Perhaps referring to the Hall of Fame? Pictures and links to albums of many finished trailers.

http://www.tnttt.com/halloffame.php
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Sorry about that. Late night posts.............

Try
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56787&hilit=trailer+size+and+weight+chart+list
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 pm

:shock:

WOW!!! I wasn't aware such a thing even existed! How cool is that?

:thumbsup:
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Ted+Teresa » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:39 am

pchast wrote:Sorry about that. Late night posts.............

Try
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56787&hilit=trailer+size+and+weight+chart+list

Thank you! This looks like a great resource. I will look through it carefully. :thumbsup:
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves