Hi from Virginia

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hi from Virginia

Postby TwilaR » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi everyone! Researching micro cabin builds led me here, and I think I've found my tribe :)

My plan is to build on a 5x8 Ironton trailer, because that's what I can afford, but the specs are 1700 pounds and I want to go over the wheels to 7 feet wide. Worried about cutting it too close on the weight. This is for housing, not camping.

But then I found foamies!

Been reading through the forum and this may be the answer.

I have to be out of my rental by end of March as it's going up for sale. Can't start building now because the landlords would have a cow, but they're spending February and March in Florida, so I'll be doing the power build then. I hope to have as much as I can prepped before then.

Meanwhile studying and planning as much as I can. I'm sure I'll be a nuisance with lots of questions, so please bear with me!

Twila
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Hi from Virginia

Postby rjgimp » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:24 pm

BWAAAHAHAHAAAAA!!! I love your attitude. Stealth planning and prep while the 'chaperones' are watching but as soon as they hit the road... WHOOP!!! WHOOP!!! We're off to the races!
:lol: :twisted: 8)

Welcome to the nuthouse! I too was looking for something else entirely when I stumbled upon this site and discovered the brilliance of foam construction. These guys have been experimenting here for 15 years and have built up a wealth of knowledge. There are many completed foam trailers to be found here built on a 5x8 that are well under 1000lbs. I am going for a standy with about double that size base and intend to be under 2000lbs.
:applause:

Snoop around. Read lots and lots of build threads and don't be afraid to ask questions. Resurrect a ten year old thread if you want. Many of those same people are still around. You are among friends here.
:beer:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby TwilaR » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:55 am

Thank you for the welcome!

Yes, I've been reading like a maniac. The Foam Stream thread has been highly informative, and that led me to George's youtube channel, and now I'm fully down the rabbit hole.

The smaller build is to get a roof over my head quickly. My original plan was to head to Missouri in the spring, where I have a few acres of raw land. (You nailed the prepper part). But a really good job came along so I decided to stick it out here and make some money. But then they dropped the bomb on me.

I found a place that builds the size trailers I want at about the same price as what used goes for around here, but can't afford that right now. The second build will be more along the size you're planning. The dog likes to take up a lot of room.
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Postby rjgimp » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:04 am

Yes, George's videos are awesome. GPW is a great resource too. He has a second thread about replacing the floor on the Foamstream when it started to rot after only a couple years. He discovered that morning dew in the very hot and humid Big Easy was working its way under the bottom of the walls and seeping into the edge of the floor. After reconstruction he installed a drip edge all around the bottoms of the walls and all has been well since. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70479

You are doing a great job so far sipping from the fire hose. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you peeked into the "Big Thrifty Thread" yet? http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39373 It's up to 483 pages now. A bit of a dry slog at times but really a wealth of information in there.
:beautiful:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:52 am

The barn was built on a 5 x 8 also. You can easily cantilever 18" to the front and rear if you build your sub floor properly. I really wish I had gone the extra foot on each side and taken mine to 7 foot. I would have left the side rails and utilizer the double walled the side walls for storage and let down furniture.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30307
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TwilaR » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:09 am

Yep, been taking notes on the big thread. Too much info to trust myself just remembering. I'm of an age where lists are a good thing.

I did read about the repair. Drip edge is definitely on the list.

bob, that barn is just stunning! As I have horses, a build like that would be very fitting. And i love the idea of the stuffed chickens. Would have to have a hay mow as my dog would de-stuff them on day one.

Twila
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves