Just an average chippy looking for some advice

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Just an average chippy looking for some advice

Postby Sawyer1902 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Hello there everyone I'm new to the site. I've been building a teardrop for around 5 months now and have hit a snag. I can't seem to find any sort of trim to around my top and sides etc to make it waterproof. I'm from the UK and am really struggling to find some sort of aluminium trim to use is there anyway somebody can help me please. The more I get used to this forum I will upload photos.
Thank you in advance for your help if you can be of assistance
Sawyer1902
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Just an average chippy looking for some advice

Postby twisted lines » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:27 pm

I planed on using something like this, come's in different length drops on the sides and different colors.
Changed plans and will only use it if I find a leak or develop one.
Shipping over the line is bad and the first option told me A lot of people drive both directions if close enough, you may find another way :)

https://www.teardroptrailerparts.com/

AP Products 021-85003-8 RV Aluminum Medium Leg Corner Molding - Mill - 8 Ft.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sawyer1902 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:38 pm

Thank you for your response I really appreciate it.
I'd prefer a UK company if possible. It's the final piece to what will be an amazing puzzle. Just getting those edges sealed and water tight
Sawyer1902
Teardrop Inspector

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:03 pm

Would you describe the build?

Waterproofing the edges can take on many solutions depending on what material you are working with: foam, plywood, particle board, hard wood, soft wood, etc. Also what you are covering the trailer with: paint, fiberglass, canvas, Al sheeting or mixture of materials. Also it might depend on what edges are you looking at: upper edges, between trailer frame and cabin, hinges, doors, windows, hatches, cable inserts, fans, AC. Last but not least the types of transitions : rounded, 90 degree.

So solution require you plan for failure. For instance, do you waterproof the outer skin prior to covering with Aluminum sheeting on the assumption that water will get behind the sheeting? Does the trim have to be waterproof or just a reasonably good seal?
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves