Justin From Missouri

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Justin From Missouri

Postby BruiserCruiser » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:50 am

Hello all, I'm Justin. I live in Missouri with my wife and two boys.

We decided that we needed to get out of the house more this spring/summer. I thought it would be fun to do a lot of exploring around Missouri this summer, to see what our great state has to offer. I have an old 05 Silverado crew cab as a tow vehicle. It's just a half ton, and I didn't want a real big or heavy camper. I started looking around for a decent 20ish foot camper that could sleep 4, have a place to eat and cook (when it's raining), and something with a shower and and toilet... We looked at some used campers, but most were kind of rough. So we started looking at some new ones... and I was turned off at how crappy a lot of them were build (mind you we were looking at sub 20,000 dollar campers!

I've been a long time lurker here, and I have been really eye balling the cargo trailer section for the last few years...

So I started pricing cargo trailers. Again, most of the used ones were well abused. Seems like most were used for construction or landscaping (mowers), and it showed. The ones in good condition were just a few hundred cheaper than a new one...

Then I found the Georgia campers, particularly Arising. Those were priced well, but everyone was out of stock (apparently they do sell well.) However, after reading some reviews, I wasn't sure they were for me.

There's a semi local company that builds them (Doolittle Trailers), so I went and looked at one of theirs, and for the most part I liked what I seen.

The had semi screwless exteriors, tubed side walls, and looked pretty solid overall...

I knew I wanted to keep the camper sub 3500 lbs, so from what I read here, a single axle was the way to go... so that's what I went with, a 7x14 single axle...

I'll start a build thread here in a bit in the cargo section, so look out for that. I think I have a pretty good build plan... Here's a few teaser pics.
Attachments
camper with bath 4 sleeper.jpg
camper with bath 4 sleeper.jpg (113.54 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
traileroutside.jpg
traileroutside.jpg (341.26 KiB) Viewed 5950 times
BruiserCruiser
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Justin From Missouri

Postby Bezoar » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:24 am

Welcome! That is a nice looking trailer.

My only thought with the queen bunks is hopefully the folks on the wall side aren't claustrophobic! It might feel a little cave-like. My boys would probably love that!
Bezoar
Teardrop Master

Postby EZDog » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:16 pm

Welcome

I am in STL where are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby timhill28 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 am

Welcome aboard, Justine! Enjoy the community
timhill28
Teardrop Builder

Postby GetawayTears » Sun May 09, 2021 9:39 pm

What are your thoughts for creating some windows / venting for the sleeping area? It will get very stuffy in there if you do not add some cross ventilation.
Doug King
Getaway Tears of Kansas
GetawayTears
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves