New trailer conversion project in southern Cal - birch ply Q

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Postby Apples » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:08 pm

Howdy everybody. My name is Chris and I'm in southern California.

I'm converting a *tiny* cargo box trailer into a 1.5-person camper and I have a birch plywood refinish question.

In days of old (mid-20th Century), many wonderful things were built using birch ply; furniture, travel trailer interiors, etc... and they all had that warm, "honey"-colored glow about them.

Can I achieve this tone with new baltic birch? or would 50 years of time be needed to replicate what I would like to see?
Would I use shellac? or some type of wood oil...

Thanks for any and all replies. Safe travels and fun camping to all of you.

:beer:
Apples
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New trailer conversion project in southern Cal - birch p

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:01 pm

Assuming the birch is all interior and protected from weather, I think you'd like an amber shellac. Its cheap, easy, non-toxic, waterproof, and infinitely renewable. You can get many different colors if shellac from furniture maker supply places. Does cloud with standing water, but still easily renewed. A coat of paste wax makes it even more durable.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: New trailer conversion project in southern Cal - birch p

Postby Apples » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:18 pm

Thank you, Bill. You corroborate a recent conversation I had with an old friend. He too thought amber shellac a good way to go.

Yes, you are correct in assuming this is all interior stuff. The galley, on the other hand, will be located on the interior wall of the rear door which swings to curbside. This way I can in foul weather close the door and if I scrunch down enough would be able to heat some vittles while inside the trailer...

I've looked at teardrop trailers and their construction for a long time and so their very basic floorplan has influenced the plans for this small box trailer. The difference is that there's just a bit more interior volume, say, 2 cu. ft. hahaha, but I will have an aisle along the curbside interior wall to the curbside side door so that I can move about inside from bunk to galley and back with the doors closed. There will be a pretty stout 12V battery setup, too, so that I might have coffee at the touch! of a button (or two buttons).

blah blah blah

Thanks again Bill for your reply. Cheers.
Apples
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EZDog » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:21 pm

I build all sorts of things with Baltic Birch Ply and I like to see the exposed edge when I can too!

Only the Baltic has the additional ply layers which helps stability and looks a lot better too.

I like to put on a few coats of poly which looks great to me and wears well too.

I have done a few Fiberglass trailers thus way and used clear pine 1x2s for moldings rounding over the edge and also poly coated.

I will always do it this way if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves