US ex-pat London Ontario

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

US ex-pat London Ontario

Postby superphotog » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:05 pm

:pictures: First post as a new member, formerly a frequent lurker, and an 'old soul' literally and figuratively in the world of diy RV's. It all started with a 1959 VW van purchased '60 in Germany. A few more VW vans, a '62 or '63 purchased in Germany '63, a '64 purchased in Mississippi '73, a '72 acquired in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in '77 and a late 70's Dodge van while US Air Forcing in Okinawa in '78.

I have a background in vehicles and electrical/mechanical devices. Cars, motorcycles, jets (T-33, F-106, F-16), diesel-electric locomotives, medical ultrasound machines, electrical and mechanical test instruments/standards service and calibration, GM customer service 800 call center and wheelchair maintenance and diy mods due to COVID supply chain problems.

Been formulating a removable TNTTT type "pod" or better yet a "piggy-back" camper for my 5'x8'-ish utility trailer (Stirling, Canada) that needs to retain its original utility function. For those non-utility periods of time, I have been planning and acting on constructing my camper by researching relevant topics like this forum's index, YouTube diy channels, woodworking and metalworking craft publications and videos, etc.

In my previous forays on this site I got the sense that there is a significant bias or hostility against a "modular" TNTTT's. Apparently there is a "all or nothing" faction in the TNTTT world. That all may be with good reason which I will have to find out the hard way that I should have listened to from the beginning. Like Christopher Columbus, I do not believe in a 'flat earth' so I will attempt my removable camper vision.
superphotog
Teardrop Inspector

Re: US ex-pat London Ontario

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:46 pm

Welcome and my plan - with not a lot of progress since the trailer - is removable cabin/utility box.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:10 pm

I doubt there is a real bias so much as a practicallity question. There are chalanges
to address: Wear, tie down design, weight and portability, help/assistance for the maneuver,
frequency of use and storage room.
:thumbsup:
I look forward to watching your implimentation of the design and the actuall final use.
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:09 pm

superphotog wrote:Like Christopher Columbus, I do not believe in a 'flat earth' so I will attempt my removable camper vision.

As a matter of fact, in Columbus' time, very few thought the world was flat. Sailors knew it was round because they could see the mast of approaching distant ships before seeing the hull. Scholars had figured out how to estimate the Earth's size. Columbus doubted them, and thought the Earth was significantly smaller than it is, making a voyage to the far east possible. (Everyone in Europe seemed to have missed considering the possibility of several continents being stuffed in the space in between.)

I mention that simply to point out that just because something can be done doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

That said, I doubt you will find much "significant bias or hostility" on this forum. Folks will share their opinions and experiences, but if you decide on a path, most here respect that and will be interested in your results. Good luck with your idea! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TimC » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:30 pm

superphotog wrote: ...
In my previous forays on this site I got the sense that there is a significant bias or hostility against a "modular" TNTTT's. Apparently there is a "all or nothing" faction in the TNTTT world...

The Oxford Dictionary defines Significant as; "sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy".

I've not seen significant bias or hostility on any topic. Maybe I've missed the offending posts. I don't read them all. Disagreements happen but in my seven years as an active member of tnttt any disagreements are typically very civil. BYOB!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves