Hello from Houston Texas

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Hello from Houston Texas

Postby PSquared » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:45 pm

Hi Everyone.
My name is Peter and I live in Bellaire Tx. I’m an avid outdoorsman and love to hunt and fish.

I just discovered teardrops trailers last week from Mike Rowe post and I’m on this forum after purchasing a book from Tony L. I am considering purchasing one but also thinking about building one for pure satisfaction of building one. I have three young kids so I’m hesitant on starting a project right now. I was hoping to find a woodworker consultant of some type to kind of keep me on track and minimize the mistakes. What’s your thoughts on difficulty? I used to be in trades so I have some skills but trailers are foreign to me. Anyone local to houston willing to support my project for compensation? I enjoy woodworking but wish I could spend more time learning from skilled folks and also to meet new people with similar hobbies.

-Peter
PSquared
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Hello from Houston Texas

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:51 pm

What’s your thoughts on difficulty?

If you flip to the section in my book, About this Book, it answers the question.

Keep this in mind: I don’t think anyone has all the skills to build a teardrop until they’ve done it. Don’t be intimidated. You need to possess two things to undertake this project: persistence and a willingness to learn. The needed skills are the ones you learn as you build. Teardrops are built in steps. Take each step one at a time, and you’ll get it done.

Easy for me to say--or write--but it's true. I didn't have the knowledge until I built my first.

Better than my book, you've got an audience of mentors on this forum who are more than willing to lend a hand when you have questions.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Hello from Houston Texas

Postby PSquared » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:18 pm

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Few comments and questions:
1. Thank you for the link to the post. The color pictures are tremendously helpful compared to the ones in the book.
2. Can the build be done in sequential order as the book is written?
3. In the chassis chapter, '2" angle'. Is this just 90 degree iron? Like this example: https://www.steelsupplylp.com/sku/18373 ... 7kEALw_wcB
5. I'm trying to map the material list to the plan image. Where is the 55 1/2 length 2" angle used? I think you are using 3 of 80' tubing for the tongue, is the angle used as crossmembers on the tongue?
6. Looking down on page 31. The right tubing for the tongue, What is the smaller piece attached to the outside of that piece? What is the material and how is it attached?
7. The six of 3" x 2"Angle, from the image on your post, it looks like some are oriented one way and others are the opposite? Does it matter? I also assume the chassis is upside down in that picture correct?
8. Do you have affiliate links for the axle and misc items? I'm happy to use those links to support you.
9. In your build 4 forum, what material are you using for the removable coupler?
PSquared
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves