Tri Purpose 6x12 VNose Build Out (Tools/Camping/Moving)

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Tri Purpose 6x12 VNose Build Out (Tools/Camping/Moving)

Postby Tomb1269 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

I have been lurking on for a few years getting ideas etc. I finally have a 6x12 Vnose that I will be outfitting to carry Automotive tools, be a limited use camper and camp gear hauler, and finally a furniture/house mover.
My purpose for documenting this is so that the next person looking to do something similar can get ideas without searching may different boards, etc.
Trailer Specs
GVWR: 2990
Axle: 3500 w/15" tires
Ramp deck w/ RV style side door
Crank-up Roof Vent
1x1 box beam construction 16in center floor and walls, 24in roof; 1/4in ply walls
Photos as Purchased:
IMG_0562.1.jpg
IMG_0562.1.jpg (60.51 KiB) Viewed 3006 times

IMG_0561.1.jpg
IMG_0561.1.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 3006 times

IMG_0560.1.jpg
IMG_0560.1.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tri Purpose 6x12 VNose Build Out (Tools/Camping/Moving)

Postby McDave » Sat May 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Good Luck!
I'll be watching 8)
McDave
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Sat May 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Will your interior be modular?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Tomb1269 » Mon May 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Yes for the most part. The 1st foot of the box (or 3ft from the V) will be semi permanent install, with the exception of the center shelves that will be easily removed to access the trailer light wiring as it enters the interior right at the V. The remainder will have upper cabinets that will use a French cleat concept making them removable. Lower cabinets, will be designed with wheels at the back so they can be tipped back and moved like a hand-truck / 2 wheel dolly, or bigger 4 wheeled cabinet/frame for mechanics tool boxes. I have the front cabinets finished, short of doors, but just keep forgetting to take pictures. I have yet to decide on how I want to do a bed system, may just stick to a double high air mattress. I find them comfortable and when deflated they store a lot easier then a 4in or thicker foam mat.

The one item I have yet to conceptualize is how to install an Air conditioner without cutting into the trailer (not an option) and the cost of a roof unit is out of the question. If I were to find one of the roll-around indoor units for sale used I would most likely us it, but new they are out of the budget. I am leaning toward having internal barn doors on the rear to close off the back, however mounting an AC unit here would mean that the condensation would end up running on the ramp, as well as the fact that I would be looking to use the ramp as a patio similar to the way a toy haulers rear ramp is converted and the heat/fan discharge would be a negative effect. I have also tossed around the idea of a similar concept in the side door as well. just not sure as I have not completely decided on a layout as far a camping use goes. The need for AC is for the dog so that when we want to go out to do something and cannot take him he will be safe and comfortable. He is an 80lb black lab golden retriever great Pyrenees mix and is one of the main reasons to be able to use the trailer as a camper. The wife is the other reason.........
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby professorkx » Mon May 04, 2015 5:11 pm

Tomb1269 wrote:...may just stick to a double high air mattress.

This was my first thought, and I actually bought one and set it up in the trailer. We first setup length wise in the trailer, and then across the back of the trailer. Several issues with the double high mattress:

1. The fill hole would not allow me to deflate the mattress using the pump. Using the pump is faster (especially with such a large mattress) and removes ALL air, making for smaller storage needs. I had zero interest in rolling around on top of the mattress trying to get all the air out each day.
2. The air mattress takes up all the floor space, so everything in the trailer had to moved outside during the night. This was mitigated to some degree when we put the double high mattress across the back, but we still didn't have enough floor space for stuff we had brought along with us. Since we didn't want some of the items wet, coupled with the risk of theft during the night, putting things outside just wasn't a viable option. I have a 30 foot cable and lock for the generator, spare tire, motorcycle ramp and gas can, but there's still a lot in the trailer I needed to deal with. We could have moved the bed closer to the kitchen and put stuff between the mattress and back door, but this eliminated all the room for moving around while my wife was cooking breakfast, so tossed that idea as well.
3. We tried the mattress length wise, and even with the 7 foot wide trailer, getting out of the bed on each side was no simple task, as there just isn't enough room. Hey, we are older, so have to get out of bed in the middle of the night to take care of some business, and we thought getting out of bed on the sides would be a cool idea. No dice, as we ended up falling back in bed trying to thread the needle along the edge while walking.

The lack of storage space is the number one reason I moved up the timeline to design a folding bed system. With our folding bed, we have lots of room under the bed for storage during the evening, and the air mattress, 1 inch memory foam topper, mattress pad and sheet all fold up nicely in the 5 inch space, even though I have to fold one end of the mattress and the other end of the memory foam so they are short enough to fit the folding bed storage area.

We use three GOOD fleece blankets, and these get folded in the morning and stored in the cabinet above the fridge. The bed legs go in front of the blankets, and the two pillows stand on the edge in front of everything. The door closes next to the pillows, which gets all the bedding material stored behind a door of some kind during the day or while traveling.

The one thing I have learned since finishing our trailer is that every MUST be organized and have a place. After last weekend, storing bedding material was organized as described above, and the items in the large plastic bins under the counter were organized based upon frequency of use, with less frequent items in the bins in the back corner.

I also organized the upper cabinets. For example, we access the sugar container more often than the coffee container, so sugar goes in front of coffee. This all sounds very logical, but if you don't plan it all out with a lot of thought, you will live in clutter while camping. I also added coat hooks under the window on one side, as coats, purses and keys didn't have a convenient place. Same for the two coat hooks high on the wall above the toilet, as our towels didn't have a place to dry after use.

Good luck on your bed design. The double high mattress will work if you don't mind the trade off with storage. Just wanted to give you our experience trying to use a double high mattress before you make the purchase.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby Tomb1269 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:17 pm

professorkx
I like the idea of using a single high air-mat on a platform of some type, as for the storage etc. I will have cabinets, etc. setup to organize. As for the living space while camping, I will not have any cooking or other things being done in the trailer. Think of it more as an equipment transporter and once at camp it is only a bedroom. I will have canopies/tarp systems setup and will cook, etc. outside.
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby professorkx » Tue May 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Tomb1269 wrote:professorkx
I like the idea of using a single high air-mat on a platform of some type, as for the storage etc. I will have cabinets, etc. setup to organize. As for the living space while camping, I will not have any cooking or other things being done in the trailer. Think of it more as an equipment transporter and once at camp it is only a bedroom. I will have canopies/tarp systems setup and will cook, etc. outside.

Sounds like you are on the right path, organize, organize, organize.

Oh yes, I don't cook in my trailer...by my lovely spousal unit does, so she got inside cooking accommodations. 8) If I had to cook, it would be Mountain House meals with hot water, a mainstay on my dual sport camping trips when wife is not along.
professorkx
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 am

I like the idea for the wheels on the cabinets...but shouldn't the wheels be on the front? Won't you have to drag the cabinets out over the floor to get behind them?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Tomb1269 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:31 pm

rebapuck wrote:I like the idea for the wheels on the cabinets...but shouldn't the wheels be on the front? Won't you have to drag the cabinets out over the floor to get behind them?

Yes that is the plan lift from the front and pull clear of the wall then walk behind it and roll it out like a hand truck. This will keep the wheels out of the way and I hope minimize their movement in transit.
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomb1269 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:35 pm

professorkx wrote:Oh yes, I don't cook in my trailer...by my lovely spousal unit does, so she got inside cooking accommodations. 8) If I had to cook, it would be Mountain House meals with hot water, a mainstay on my dual sport camping trips when wife is not along.

I am a Boy Scout leader so break-out the Dutch oven for some stew or goulash, and there is nothing like camp cooked bacon and eggs.

-If you take 5 Boy Scouts and 4 lbs of bacon on a camping trip what is missing..............your short 1 lb of bacon :lol:
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Wed May 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Tomb1269, Howdy;

What ... only 1 lb. short ??? You not partakin'?????
:lol:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tomb1269 » Mon May 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Completed the shelving in the front a couple of weeks ago. Still need to install doors on the right and left side cabinets. The center will have no doors in order to access the main wire chase if and when needed.
Front Storage Cabinets w-o doors.2 -5.11.15.jpg
Front Storage Cabinets w-o doors.2 -5.11.15.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

Front Storage Cabinets w-o doors -5.11.15.jpg
Front Storage Cabinets w-o doors -5.11.15.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomb1269 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:24 am

Got started with some hanging cabinets using a French cleat system.
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG (48.17 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG (49.17 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG (54.85 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomb1269 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:25 am

I made a change to the second one and used 1x3 on top to make a lip in which to be able to store stuff on top as well.
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0804.JPG (51.43 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tomb1269 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:15 am

Been tough getting time to work on trailer. Here are some photos of the rolling (hand truck) style tool carts I am building. They will utilize a drop pin on the back to keep them secured to the "rub" rail that I installed against the wall.
Attachments
IMG_0850.1.jpg
IMG_0850.1.jpg (150.16 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
IMG_0849.1.jpg
IMG_0849.1.jpg (138.35 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
Tomb1269
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions