Surprise suprise

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Surprise suprise

Postby 7up » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:02 am

Hello everyone I hope you all had a great 4th of July weekend.Im kinda new to this and must admit I'm guilty of being a lurker on this great forum.After much lurking and you tube videos I pulled the trigger on a 5x10 vnose by a known manufacturer.I started my build today by ripping out the 3/8 " thick plywood walls and lo and behold I discovered to my surprise that my trailer must have been built on a Friday or whatever lemon stories people have for these funny melodies.I discovered that when they skinned my trailer up on the v they didn't go completely down to the floor on the right side.The sheet looks like someone was drunk or something when they cut the piece in a zig zag and covered it up with diamond plate on the outside.Whoever did this put scrap wood in between the outer skin and the wall so it wouldn't buckle and be discovered.Im gonna call the dealer tomorrow even tho it's not they're fault.I will be getting in touch with the manufacturer as well as sending them pictures.I paid a pretty penny and I'd like a decent product. The next trailer will be bare on the inside walls and floor. I'll sheath it myself.Has anyone had similar discoveries and what did you do to alleviate the problem? Thanks in advance.Pictures to follow.
7up
Teardrop Inspector

Surprise suprise

Postby funengineer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:15 am

Welcome to tnttt 7up. Hope you don't have any more surprises.
funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Surprise suprise

Postby bc toys » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:29 am

Welcome 7up to the cargo world
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Six Feet Under » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm

What brand of trailer?
Six Feet Under
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:38 pm

If you want the best get CarMate.Com trailer

Welcome aboard

Cheers OTTCT
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby khigh » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:09 pm

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Hopefully you'll get it rectified.

I've *heard*, and it makes sense when you thank about it, that no one will sell you a trailer without interior sheathing in place because it's structural to the build.
khigh
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:39 am

Again, I bought my CarMate trailer with the plywood on the exterior and open studs. You get what you pay for.... :x :x :x
I said it 100 times, I own a cheap GA trailer &
At 2x the price I own a CarMate.Com......

If you just wanna haul your junk ...cheap is great.
if you wanna build a trailer to travel & camp in - get a CarMate.

You get what you pay for.....

Or try this link for a picture

https://dvqkvq.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y2mLdQrV6pjlFX27kk6t-8Py8M5s43D6l8umg0iOE63rPNKMeak4XjBoOlRJUsVyn1mIjyMl4k3cl5x4Fjd-y8h58ypyy9VcNiqS5iOf0vCsIak-MlabML1JiP1VqFSpj_wJrsQ4DX2yXZYfcx0bpFLzg/2013-06-04T07-43-00_3.jpg?psid=1
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Padilen » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:51 am

khigh wrote:I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Hopefully you'll get it rectified.

I've *heard*, and it makes sense when you thank about it, that no one will sell you a trailer without interior sheathing in place because it's structural to the build.

I looked at many trailers that did not have any interior. I only looked at all aluminum trailers. However I have seen and used trailers without any interior sheeting other than a bottom board or "kick" plate. All aluminum is more expensive than aluminum skinned steel. But not 2x as much. It's lighter than steel won't rust but will still suffer from corrosion. I've seen steel ribs from T to ^ and c channel and square tube. Most aluminum from what I have seen are square tube. All kinds of quality, some I looked at the welds were so poor that I could have done better. And I'm no welder. All brands can have quality issues. Members on here have custom ordered trailers from different manufactures and have had mistakes made. I got tired of looking, a phone call purchase and my search was over. I joked about when I removed the interior what I'd find. I found nice welds, I did disliked the ramp door "filler" wood. It was wet and already rusted bolts for latches. And by man door floor plywood was cut short, widthwise but wedged in lengthwise, so it floats and creaks. A loose bolt and one wire with outer plastic rubbed off - not down to bear wire. Minor issues, most likely most would never noticed or complained about.
Hopefully OP can get their trailer fixed or replaced and get their conversion going. I'm looking forward to seeing another "build".
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions