Air Conditioning

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Air Conditioning

Postby flboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:53 pm

Got it. Someone on TNTTT had sketched up a drawing of a window unit under the bed on the floor that had a floor panel that dropped down when stopped which exposed the AC coils as needed. It was actually very creative. If you are making a permanent bed built off the floor, let me know and I'll dig around to find a link for you. No holes anywhere except a drop down panel underneath the trailer. I could see that working under a sink or fridge cabinet or basically underneath something that would take up floorspace anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:10 pm

The floor mount idea sounds intriguing. If I can figure out how to post a copy of my floor plan, I will. The bed is running along the passenger side from the rear of the trailer to 28" short of the side door. The driver rear corner of the trailer will be dedicated to my portable table saw. Roughly 30"w x 18"d. I will keep that side open when the wife goes with me for her sleeping recliner. From rear of trailer 6ft forward. That leaves me 60" for base cabinets on that side. The portable would take up 1/2 of that space. I like your set up, but I think I would mount the a/c in the middle and the frig below with storage up high. This is what I did in a previous build.

jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby jwh92020 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Here is the floor plan.The front of the trailer is bath room.

jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:39 pm

I found it. It was Hader and his build. I am not sure if he ever actually implemented this, but you can see how it could be done on the floor anywhere with a box around it. Only downside I see is the AC on the floor and cool air sinks... Maybe have a have a fan to stir things up?

Check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66505
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby warnmar10 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:27 pm

OverTheTopCargoTrailer wrote:Jwh

" I'm trying to keep everything in the trailer, except for vent covers"

I have a 12k btu mini split completely inside my trailer , both units. Has soft stsrt, 200 watts, runs on 100% solar only uses about 250 watts per hour.

Cheers

Overthetopcargotrailer
Where did you source the li-ion battery in your trailer?
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift
warnmar10
Teardrop Master

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:20 am

You can buy new batteries here

http://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/ ... -Batteries

Cheers ottct
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Hi Guys

been following this thread with vigour as I also want to put A/C in our trailer. I'm sold on the portable AC as I want to buy an AC for the house (bedroom specifically). I just want clarification. I believe from what I have read that the 2 hose will deliver better efficiency and cooling the a 1 hose unit. My plans are to exhaust through the floor and direct the heat hose away from the intake. Also feel that under the trailer is probably the cooler place to draw in air to the unit.

Am I correct. I was thinking of a 10000 but maybe I need a higher BTU..It's a 6x12 insulated trailer

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:23 pm

the most expensive mistake I made was buying a portable AC I bought the largest I could find and did everything including wrapping the hose with insulation.
the only time I could get the trailer cool was after dark during the day forget it.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:30 pm

I tried the AC hack approach and while I believe in it when done properly, for me it did have issues. I finally went with the 5000 portable unit, mounted in my false wall and it works very well. It cools a 6x12x6 cube very well. I insulated everything included my floor.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby jwh92020 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Al - Not a lot of cost difference, go with a 12K dual hose unit. Shorten the hoses as much as possible and wrap them with insulation. I used a water heater blanket that I had. 2 wraps on each hose.

Bob - Did you mean a 5k window unit? I've never seen a 5k portable except for Climate Rite and it's not truly "portable".
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm

lrrowe

do you have any pics regarding mounting the AC in your false wall. I have a ramp which we want to be able to use. I've been considering building a small wall, at the rear door, that would not obstruct us from walking out the back of the trailer and using the ramp as a deck. I would then use heavy curtains to block off the rest of the rear door area to prevent as much heat from getting in. My only concern with this is in the evening we most likely would like to close the ramp door so as nosey bears don't poke their heads in (Rocky Mountains). This would prevent the AC from being able to draw in any air for cooling (hope that makes sense)

thoughts?
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:01 pm

yycwrangler wrote:lrrowe

do you have any pics regarding mounting the AC in your false wall. I have a ramp which we want to be able to use. I've been considering building a small wall, at the rear door, that would not obstruct us from walking out the back of the trailer and using the ramp as a deck. I would then use heavy curtains to block off the rest of the rear door area to prevent as much heat from getting in. My only concern with this is in the evening we most likely would like to close the ramp door so as nosey bears don't poke their heads in (Rocky Mountains). This would prevent the AC from being able to draw in any air for cooling (hope that makes sense)

thoughts?
Al

I have barn doors, so my idea may not work for you.
See page 17 of my build link. There is a shot of my "hacked" attempt and others of my internal result.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61777&hilit=blue+ridge&start=240#p1177269
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:13 pm

I am envisioning a swinging ac mount that attaches to the side of the trailer. you have a hole in the ramp that the ac unit swings into during travel and use. But to lower the ramp you just swing it out of the way, lower the ramp and swing it back in place if you want to cool behind the curtains. Oh and don't forget to put something over the hole in the ramp while it is down. Also, it might be a challenge to swing back into place while the door is down if you have cables instead of spring loaded door. I thought seriously about doing something like this, but i wasn't too concerned about blocking some of the entry. Here is My method:
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:22 pm

My AC is in a false wall on wheels I can open and close it 83633836328363183630
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Interesting options white and iconfab. the only concern with the ramp is I would like to use to it for a quad down the road, so I imagine a hole might not be option for me..

icon the swinging door is a neat idea. How to get air to the AC at night when you close the door or perhaps you don't close the door

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions