insulating the floor of a cargo trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: insulating the floor of a cargo trailer

Postby BC Dave » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:29 am

Rainier70 wrote:I put 2 inches of insulation under my CT. It made a huge difference in mine.

Gonefishin put the interlocking foam tiles in for his flooring. It seems to be holding up well. It looks great, and they really like it. See about page 6 in his build. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33924&start=75

Lots of ways to address the issue.

I added 2" of pink foam under the trailer attached directly to the ply floor; with the foam glue and 2.5" screws with fender washers; I haven't put may miles on it but its been insulated for 7 yrs now and parked at high elevation in the mountains and used extensively in cold -15 to -20C sometimes over a winter weekend and I was surprised at what a huge difference it made; added this after a very cold October weekend in 2010. I put the glue on the foam then used a small jack with 2x4 and ply to press it in place while glue dried; you need to buy the special "foam rated glue". Happy warm trailering. cheers bc dave
BC Dave
Teardrop Master

Postby Spotman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 pm

CoventryKid wrote:Al:

I insulated the floor of our NEO trailer with 2x2 framing and 1.5" rigid pink insulation on top of the "factory" floor. With 7' interior height, losing 2" of height wasn't a big deal. I thought about doing it from underneath but decided too many issues with that approach (for me).

You are right about the 2' squares at Lowes, HD. They are more for concrete basement floors. While they interlock, I wouldn't trust them to stay tight together with the movement of a trailer over time.

My wife and I full-time in our trailer - 1 year anniversary today as a matter of fact.

Hope this helps!

Doug, Happy Anniversary, if I could only get my wife out for a long weekend, that would be a mile stone! :? My dream is to take off for a long trip someday, and call her a few times. (J/K) I really want her to retire this year so we can hit the road with our 3 little devils (Dachshunds).

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:41 pm

Bob:

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! I hope you can get your sweetheart to join the "movement" at some point!

Cheers!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions