Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Considering an all aluminum 7x16 V-nose - help me decide

Postby Dano-Mich » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:13 am

Ok, so the 7x18 R&R comes with an heavy duty A-frame tongue that is supposed to be compatible with a weight distribution hitch. (Unlike their shorter models.) You can just see the tongue in this photo from their website:

Waiting on a quote from R&R and also sent a request to my local NEO dealer. One difference in the NEO compared to the Legend and R&R is that the floor crossmembers are 24" OC instead of 16" OC.
Giving up on Legend as my local Legend dealer doesn't return phone calls and they don't do email (Fenton Trading Post in Fenton, Michigan). Their pricing was quite a bit higher than R&R and the next closest Legend dealer was even higher.

Here are the options I'm looking at:
-RV Screen door with window
-22x30 or 30x30 windows (2)
-Bracing for two roof vents (no vents as I'll add Fan-tastic vent and AC later)
-Rear stabilizer jacks
-Entry step
-24" stoneguard
-6" additional height (7' total - I'm 6'5" and my son is 6'8")
-Minimal install of panels/ceiling as I'll be taking down for insulation
-No installation of lights as I'll put them where I want
-Blackout package (black diamondplate and fenders just because)
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:41 am

Make sure you get 7' interior height. Big difference in how they get there 6" extra.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Dano-Mich » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:50 am

Padilen wrote:Make sure you get 7' interior height. Big difference in how they get there 6" extra.

Yep, the R&R VDC and VDC Platinum come 6'6" standard on 7' wide models. Even considered 12" extra as its not much more, but wind drag and all. I think 6" extra for 7' total will be good.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 am

Just make sure your talking inside when you order. The new used that I looked at the owner said 6" over. Thinking he had over 6' inside. As his 5'11" head hit the roof cross members.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:55 pm

I'm going for 4" added insulation up and 3" total down, so 7.5' to start with sounds good to me
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MikeL » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Both R&R and NEO are located in MI soul you MIGHT be able to save some money by picking up at the factory instead of the dealer.
MikeL
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dano-Mich » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:48 am

MikeL wrote:Both R&R and NEO are located in MI soul you MIGHT be able to save some money by picking up at the factory instead of the dealer.

R&R, NEO, Legend, and One Trailers are all located in Michigan and produce aluminum frame trailers. Are there any more?
R&R is factory direct already - they no longer work with dealers (just about ready to pull the trigger on one). NEO doesn't support the use of a weight distribution hitch with their trailers so that option is out. Legend doesn't deal directly with consumers - already tried that route. Waiting to get one last quote from One Trailers for a 7x18.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Not in Michigan but American Hauler makes all aluminum. Have you considered all aluminum cargo box on steel frame? If such exists ?

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Dano-Mich » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Padilen wrote:Not in Michigan but American Hauler makes all aluminum. Have you considered all aluminum cargo box on steel frame? If such exists ?

No steel frames for me, I'm living in the Rust Belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:05 pm

I think we both live in Michigan. Aluminum will corrode so it's not a win win. I know they have a coating that can be applied, don't know what it is. Just that a guy that went to my church that did it, to semi trailers.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

NEO doesn't support the use of a weight distribution hitch with their trailers so that option is out.

Hmmmm..first I've heard of this and I've been using a WD hitch on my NEO for over 3 years.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Dano-Mich » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm

CoventryKid wrote:
NEO doesn't support the use of a weight distribution hitch with their trailers so that option is out.

Hmmmm..first I've heard of this and I've been using a WD hitch on my NEO for over 3 years.

From NEO directly (not a dealer):

Thanks for your interest in Neo! We do not recommend weight distribution hitches for any of our trailers. It is however, an A frame, so you have plenty of aftermarket options. Although, putting holes in the frame of your trailer will void the warranty. For this reason, it is more common to improve the tow vehicle with stiffer sidewall tires(load range E), firm suspension and proper tire pressure. Further, be sure you pull the NAMR at the correct tongue height, which is 19".
Let me know if you have any further questions!
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm

From NEO directly (not a dealer):

Thanks for your interest in Neo! We do not recommend weight distribution hitches for any of our trailers. It is however, an A frame, so you have plenty of aftermarket options. Although, putting holes in the frame of your trailer will void the warranty. For this reason, it is more common to improve the tow vehicle with stiffer sidewall tires(load range E), firm suspension and proper tire pressure. Further, be sure you pull the NAMR at the correct tongue height, which is 19".
Let me know if you have any further questions!

Dano-Mich:

Thanks for the info. Kinda vague when it comes to "so you have plenty of aftermarket options"..... I wonder what NEO means??

When I installed my WD hitch, I did not drill any holes to mount the brackets on the frame.

I wonder if NEO's concern is just that....that installing a WD hitch (and having to drill holes to mount the hitch) voids the warranty?? So therefore don't use a WD hitch. I dunno.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby lrrowe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:29 pm

For me, when I was trying to make a trailer buy decision about 4-5 yers ago, I contacted NEO explaining how I wanted to modify a CT for my camping needs. They quickly told me they would not sell one of their trailers knowing that a customer would modify it. This was quite disappointing and confusing back then. But I was ticked off enough with their attitude, that I quickly walked away from considering them.

Now with their position on WD devices and warranties, I have to wonder a little bit about what really is driving these positions. Regarding the warranty, how long is it? Why not consider conforming to their warranty terms and then doing what you want, after it expires?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby billbob412 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 pm

OK nobody drills holes in the frame to install a load dist. hitch. I have 2 neo trailers I would buy another if i needed it.I have learned not to pay to much attention to the person who answers the phone at neo. When I was waiting for my car hauler to be built i called and asked what the empty weight wood be . She went and looked it up came back with 3200 lbs i knew that was too high for an 18 ft .When it arrived the mso said 2300lbs Both car hauler and 12x7 mc trailer are very good quality.
billbob412
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions