Re: Keep It Simple 6X12

Postby pchast » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:24 pm

Paint it first flat on the bench.
touch up is easier after.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CampingCur » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:05 pm

Good suggestion! Better than getting paint drips all over me in the process. Probably will use the 5MM Revolution Ply from Lowes. It is so smooth and even, no knots or creases. A bit costly now compared to when I used it last (about 5 years ago) but the quality seems to have held up. I can roll the paint on and it shouldn't take too long for the primer and 2 coats of ceiling white. I am making some progress, but the old Covid Crud got us both and set me back a bit. Even had to cancel a planned 3 day camping trip (maiden voyage) :cry: . The electric is almost done, and the bed frames are roughed in and the platform plywood in place. When I get more done inside I will post a few pics. We also have been having beastly weather here in SW Fla. Don't laugh...we're not used to cold and cloudy in January...usually 80 and sunny!! Hoping for better temps soon to get more done so until then...I will keep on planning out the next project. And...I got in my 12 volt fan to put in place below the vent...Looks like it will do the job!
CampingCur
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CampingCur » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:21 pm

Hello Cargo Trailer Campers,
Here is a brief follow-up to our project. I went with pre-finished wall coverings and ceiling panels. Just didn't want the hassles of painting. Recently installed a grab bar on the outside, a fan kit that turns your own fan into a nifty exhaust/inlet fan (really works well!) We installed a 7X10 Dometic bag awning that was a new old stock from Hanna Trailer Supply. It worked well and withstood a Great Deluge on our last trip. I put a dimmer in for the puck lights, a solar input into the battery to keep it charged during the times we are not using the trailer. A portable 50 watt panel does the trick! I am using a NOCO 10 amp battery charger for my power supply while at the campground for the interior lights and the porch light. It is doing a good job keeping up with power demands, even when using the exhaust fan. The little 3.2 CF single door dorm fridge (from WM) keeps the food cold and even freezes ice when needed! I will attach a few pics (what a pain to down-size them!) so you can see a few of the things we have done. Nothing elaborate for sure, but the goal was to try and keep it simple! I must say though, the 6" foam mattresses are really comfy!! Glad we splurged on a queen size mattress then cut it into 2 comfy mattresses (used an electric carving knife!!).
Enjoy the pics. Go easy on us with your comments, please. Happy Camping!! (BTW, I should have had this at the bottom of my posts...sorry!)
Attachments
Camping at Little Manatee River SP.jpg
Camping at Little Manatee River SP.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 523 times
20240211_190333.jpg
20240211_190333.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 523 times
20240212_094619.jpg
20240212_094619.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 523 times
CampingCur
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:18 pm

Looks very comfortable. Enjoy!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:33 am

I like it! That was kind of what I started out to do, but the project took on a life of it's own. Your build is bright and airy and should keep you comfortable in Florida. Great Job! Best thing is very little set up at campgrounds. Just level up, plug in and deploy the awning. Doesn't get much easier than that. Enjoy it and use it often. :D

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby CampingCur » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm

Thanks! That's the plan! Next trip we will bring our portable A/C unit and see how it does. I just painted the roof 2 coats with white mobile home roof paint. Even with the sun shining directly on top, I can lay my hand on it and it really is not all that hot. Should make a difference inside. It is already cooler as I am working in there. At present, I am preparing to lay down some new flooring. After MUCH deliberation, we decided on sheet vinyl. I ordered it from HD to get the 10 mil stuff. Looks like grey weathered wood. I wanted to run it long ways, but then I would have a lot of waste. So...I will run it with the "planks" going side-to-side. Should have very little waste as I plan to use the cut off piece under "my" bed to line the bottom of the rear storage area. That is where the spare tire and the milk crates with electric cords and plumbing stuff like hoses etc. reside. Should be easy to clean. I will lay it out then staple all around the edges using 1/2" SS staples. Then, I will finish with some nice trim as a "mini baseboard". Will snap a pic after and try to post it. So many cool ideas on this site, but have to "reign it in" a bit due to budget and weight. My SUV is already saying "Hey...what's going on back there?" :x LOL! Later...Happy Trails To You All!!
CampingCur
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Modstock » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:11 pm

Nice. I like the Floorplan.
What awning is that ?

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CampingCur » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 pm

The awning is a Trim-Line bag style awning from Dometic. It is the 10' version. Got it on e-bay for 299. (Amazon had the same awning at that price as well). They were closing out this color (Brown Fade). They seem to have sold out this size, but they do have others like 8' for that price. The seller is Hanna Trailer supply. It was new old stock. It was in good shape, still in original box. Shipped free and they got it to me in less than a week! All the legs are now folded inside a boxed aluminum frame. They fold out and you can attach the bottom of the legs either in sockets mounted to the trailer, or simply place them on the ground and pound in a stake in a loop to hold it from flying up. If it is real windy, we also stake it with additional ropes. I need to drill additional holes in the support legs so that the ends can come down even more in a hard rain situation. We had a torrential downpour the first time we used it and I had to push up on the canopy to move the water off. So glad it did not damage the fabric! It is a medium/heavy vinyl.
CampingCur
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CampingCur » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:43 am

Here are a couple of pics of the sheet vinyl flooring installed. I made a template (of sorts) from cardboard and laid it out on the vinyl first, with 2 inches over on all edges. That did minimize waste. The portion that I cut off under the longer bed on the side I used under the rear storage area. The scrap pieces were used under the long bed. Very little waste by using it this way. I wanted to have the pattern go the long way but I would have had to order more than I needed. This is HD 10 mil material, sells for 1.33 per square foot (about 12 bucks per yard). Again, feels nice underfoot and seems like it will hold up well. All of our previous pop up campers had vinyl flooring and it held up well with minimal care. I did end up stapling along the outer edges. Then, I used some pre-finished grey trim they were closing out at Lowes for 4 buck for a 8 foot piece. It is cove molding, but it looks fine and covers the edges and the staples. Will test it out next week on a camping trip. Happy Trails to all!
Attachments
Sheet Vinyl Flooring 2.jpg
Sheet Vinyl Flooring 2.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Sheet Vinyl Flooring 1.jpg
Sheet Vinyl Flooring 1.jpg (62.33 KiB) Viewed 284 times
CampingCur
Teardrop Inspector

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:21 pm

Looks great! :thumbsup:
featherliteCT1
1000 Club