new trailer almost their

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

new trailer almost their

Postby aqclean » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:35 am

Hi all I have a few questions and need your expertise.
I have decided on a new cargo trailer instead of used,mainly the prices here in the local area seems crazy, and I plan on keeping this awhile, due to the fact I have quite a few years to retirement(if their is one by then)before I can sell the house,and by the moblie home I want and become nomad, living park to park.
Decided on a haulmark transport 6x12 with v. been talking with the manufacture waiting on the total dollar amount.This will be a toy hauler/sleeper. The haulmark states 16 on verticle and 20 on crossmembers.Does that mean walls studa 16 on center? I'm looking for windows I did a search last night but came up with ebay items mostly,I really don't want dark tinted windows, I like light. Is their anyone on the site that sells windows.If so could I get teir address. I did look in the index also, I have plenty of time 6x8 weeks build time for trailer after down payment.I need verticle windows/screen no wider then 15in.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:12 am

I found the company that built my trailer on Ebay Many of the trailers sold on Ebay are from dealers that can add anything you want like windows and doors,

I found that Ebay was the best place to buy every thing I needed to build my trailer,just search for RV -keyword your looking for and you will find that there are companies that supply all the things the RV companies use to build trailers.
There are also companies that sell used RV parts if that is what you need

I bought a great marine CD player that plays DVD's that I run through a flat screen tv I also orderd the speakers,watching a movie sounds as good as what I have in the house,New it sold for 400.00 I got it for 100.00 on Ebay BUT it does have a few things not 100% but I saved 300.00 so I can live with it.
I also bought my hot water heater, 12 water pump,16 gallon water tank,
Bar sink, sink faucet, 12volt lights,Ect - was going to buy my Honda generator but found one on Craigs List which is another great place to look for things.
I had my trailer built with the windows and RV door because I wanted it to look factory made,I don't think I could do as good a job + there is alot of work to be done on the inside and you get all that from Lowes's or home depot.
I guess if I found a cheap used trailer and had to put in the windows myself I would but I think I would need some help doing it.
If your not in a hurry I would look around on Craigs list trailers are for sale all the time, I have also seen some homemade cargo trailer toyhaulers for sale,unless you just want to build it from scratch.
I am glad I put off my build for awhile because now I have a lot better trailer than what I would have built when I first got the bug?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby pete42 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:15 pm

I know a lot of people use the 6X12 trailers I like the 7X12 trailers.
I want the inside wall to wall to be at least 6' which is what the 7' wide trailers measure the 6' wide measure less wall to wall.
Some say they don't want to pull anything that wide so they don't have to use extension mirrows, I pulled a 8' wide travel trailer and I have the mirrows so no problem. I also want lots of closet space or cabinets to hold clothes most small travel trailers use under bed or under seat storage I just want to open a cabinet and get what I need with out lifting up anything. good luck on your build If things improve I too may join you in building what I want.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

found them

Postby aqclean » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:43 pm

I found what I was looking for/ :thumbsup:

The place I was looking for was Teardroptrailersparts.com
Thank you for your response's.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jo » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Jo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aqclean » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:26 am

You are corectt. I ordered my trailer yesterday. 6-8 wks.
Dave in RI
aqclean
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mskobier » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:36 pm

aqclean,
I too am converting a Haulmark CT. I picked mine up used. I found it on Craigslist. I got a 2001 7x16, with the slightly rounded front. I would have liked the V, but for the money, I am happy with what I got. So, other than size, we are converting like CT's. Good to have someone else working through the same issues.

Each and every CT converson is different because everyone wants something different. I needed the 16' length to haul a couple of full size ATV's. The wife and I are used to tent camping, so we really do not need a lot of creature comforts. However, we do need a minimum of 14' inside for the ATV's. That leaves about 2' of the front of the trailer for all of the necessities.

We are going with a dorm sized AC refrigerator, that will have re-usable freeze packs in the freezer so that it will function as a cooler when not hooked up to AC.

There will be a small propane furnace for heat as well as a simple cold water system for drinking or possibly washing dishes.

All of the lighting will be 12v dc since it will also have a WFCO power distribution system/battery charger. That way, even if we are not hooked up to AC, we will still have lights.

There will be a window on each side for light and ventilation.

The bed will be a fold down platform in the rear of the trailer that we will place our existing 4" thick sleeping mats on.

Of course the manditory cabinets and shelving across the front for storage.

We do not plan on staying in the CT for long periods of time. probably no more than a few days at a strech.

Sanitation will be via portable toilet with integral tank.

Still working on the detail on showers, but I do have a few ideas.

Anyway, that is what is currently in the works with our CT.

Have fun,
Mitch
mskobier
Silver Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions