Trailer wheels

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Trailer wheels

Postby alefl75 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi guys & gals,
My question for you all is I hope an easy one, what are the tire options on the average 6x12 trailer size wise. I am considering a conversion for the beach and would need it as high as possible. I had seen one on here a while back but I could not recall if any mods had to be done to the axle or switch out? What are the lug size on the ones with 15" rims?
alefl75
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Clint » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:26 am

That is really going to depend on the make of the trailer and what axle/hubs they used. I think on a 6x12 most manufacturers use 5-4.5" hubs with 15" wheels. If you want to go with larger tires, the biggest obstacle in my mind is the clearance at the fender. You could either move the fender up, or the axle down. There is also the clearance between the tire and the side of the box--offset wheels could be used to address that issue.

Sounds like you need to identify the exact trailer first, then figure the best way to make the modifications. It is doable--all it takes is time and money.
Clint
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Clint » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 am

I just re-read your post; if your goal is to gain ground clearance, you don't need to put on bigger wheels, you can reconfigure your axle/suspension. If it has springs, you may be able to remount the axle below the springs (assuming it is currently above the springs) and very easily gain a few inches clearance. If it is a torsion axle there a number of options depending upon the type of axle.

Again, it can be done and maybe quite easily.
Clint
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 am

For the beach your main concern is flotation which tends to mean fat and wide more than tall and you probably want tires and rims that are roughly the same size as your tow vehicle (I am assuming a 4X4). This may mean the wheels are outside the body of the trailer with enough clearance to lower tire pressure significantly. If this is going to be a lot of sand then best choice is either an airbag suspension or slipper spring as torsion bar i.e. Dexter, do not like lots of sand which reportedly will work its way into the rubber "spring" and destroy them.
Take a look at http://www.adventuretrailers.com which uses an airbag suspension. and http://www.kimberleykaravans.com/index. ... van_brakes an Australian (and expensive) caravan. Note both have swing arm suspensions.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby alefl75 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks for the replies they all do make sence and I agree that first I will have to see what it is that I am working with.
The post I saw a while back of a cargo trailer that they added real nice tires to I want to say it was a green one that had been wrapped previously I maybe mistaken on the color. Well anyways that one that was posted is more less what I had in mind I just don't remember who the author was to ask him how he did his.
alefl75
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Georgiahiker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:46 pm

The thread with the green CT that you are referring to was by Meach4x4.
Georgiahiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alefl75 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Thank you Georgiahiker :applause: that is the exact one I was refering to I will read that post left and right and then ask a question or two based on what was installed.
alefl75
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions