TheTrailerShowroom 7X14

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: TheTrailerShowroom 7X14

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

Your design and execution is inspiring! (I'm also envious of your shop.)

May I ask you a few questions about your CT? I like the flush or inset wheels. What are these called exactly? Can you say what the actual interior width of your trailer is?

Thank you, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby bigbendhiker » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:06 am

The interior of your trailer is absolutely gorgeous. Your layout and cabinetry puts commercial RVs to shame. Congratulations to you and your Dad on your work.
:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Scott
bigbendhiker
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:48 am

Pretty! :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby 8ball_99 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:01 am

Looks great. I also enjoy wood working and it looks like you did a great job on your cabinets.
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby pappaw » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:07 am

sweet! :shock:

Cheers: :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Paint and Wallpaper

Postby pmspirito » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 pm

It has been a busy couple of weekends. Dad has been working with me on the TT. We have all of the wallpapered panels in place. I have put on the primer coat and the first top coat of paint on the bead board.

I purchased the TT one-year ago last week. so far we have put in 331 man-hours of labor.

I have spent more money than i planned, but have done a better and more livable conversion than i thought i would.

Dad's help has been real important, both as a skilled helper and a cheerleader.

I am glad i changed the interior paint color from that "other one" I originally selected. The wall paper has a vertical pinstripe pattern with yellow/tan stripes.
Attachments
P6240760.JPG
P6240760.JPG (110.64 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
P6240759.JPG
P6240759.JPG (104.91 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
P6240756.JPG
P6240756.JPG (98.26 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
see my cargo trailer build at viewtopic.php?t=45197

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:48 pm

bigbendhiker wrote:The interior of your trailer is absolutely gorgeous. Your layout and cabinetry puts commercial RVs to shame. Congratulations to you and your Dad on your work.
:applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

+ 1 :thumbsup: Absolutely gorgeous work. :applause:

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

thanks for the compliments

Postby pmspirito » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm

thanks for compliments and encouragement :thumbsup:

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Interior painting

Postby pmspirito » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:26 pm

The original plan to build the cabinets, then remove then so they can be spray painted and then re-install them has changed. The amount of work involved was twice as much. Here is the new plan. The ceiling panels and the cabinet doors will still get sprayed. I have already brushed on 2 primer coats and 2 top coats on all of the bead board. The cabinets and bed area have 2 coats of primer only and at the last minute i decided to paint the inside of all of the cabinets which has one coat of primer.

I am using Benjamin Moore Regal Select in the Pearl finish. The primer is also BM and is tinted 50% of the finish color. I also put in a little Flo-Trol to help it dry slower and to lay out flat with no brush marks. Most important for hand painting is getting the very best paint brush that you can afford and caring for it like it was gold.

Going to Paris for vacation for a couple of weeks on Monday. I have seats on the tour d France finish line. :worship:

The end is in sight. Looking forward to getting back on the road. :thumbsup:

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Ceiling panels installed.

Postby pmspirito » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Paris was wonderful. Great people, food, weather.

The TT is all painted out in the inside. the new photos are of the ceiling panels installation. The are 4 sections. They are just glued to the ceiling furing strips. We did one side at a time. You can see all of the sticks we used to press the ceiling panel in place until the glue dried.

I have purchased and prepainted all of the trim molding. I also purchased the floor tiles.

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Postby Bkcreation34 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:50 pm

So with glueing your ceiling panels in place what kinda glue did you use ? You will have to let us all know how that works when you are driving down the road and hit some pot holes or gravel road. I am not sure if glue would be strong enough for the vibration. What I did on my CT was put tongue and grove pine planks up which are lightweight and screwed them into the metal studs on the ceiling and then to cover up the screw heads i used a narrow piece of pine that I stapled up to cover up the screw heads. I have been down Gravel roads and bumpy roads and it has not moved. But glue I am not sure that will be strong enough but with your build you have outbuild everyone on here with your design and woodwork skills so that is why I am just curious on the long term how it will stand up to the glue not breaking away with the vibration.
Bkcreation34
Teardrop Master

Postby roadinspector » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 pm

I agree with bkcreation34. But the glue intrigues me. I hope it works for you. So please let us know how it works for you. bkc34, Would you please post a pic or two of your ceiling.

Earnest
Dadgum it! I cut that board 5 times and it's still too short!
2001 quad-cab Dodge Cummins 3/4 ton camper special, 16x7x7 CT work in progress toyhauler, 01 HD Ultra Classic, 98 HD Heritage Softail, 88 HD 1200 Sportster. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51510
roadinspector
500 Club

glue for ceiling

Postby pmspirito » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

I used Loctite Power Grab adhesive caulking. It is kind of a new product available at Home Depot. I had planned to screw the panels to the ceiling. So you See a few screws? Who cares? DAD CARED !!!!! His position was lets glue it up and if it comes loose we can add the screws later. It sounded like a good plan.

I did a test piece. I took a scrap of the ceiling material, put on a couple of beads of adhesive and stuck it in place. It stayed when i let go. A few days later i tried to pull it off and the wood broke on either side of the caulking.

We used a lot of props to keep it in place. I think there were 27 props on each side. we did one half, front to back, the first Sunday and the other half the next Sunday. I kept the props in place for the week.
Last edited by pmspirito on Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

You can never have too many clamps

Postby pmspirito » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:51 pm

I needed to add two small strips on the back of each piece of the door casing trim in order for it to fit right against the metal door frame. I used 45 clamps.

I had to do the same thing for the window trim around the front picture window.
Attachments
P9291027.JPG
P9291027.JPG (93.26 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
P9291024.JPG
P9291024.JPG (88.38 KiB) Viewed 2396 times

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

Trim and Flooring installed

Postby pmspirito » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:01 pm

All of the chair rail, crown molding etc has been installed.

The big project recently was installing the peel and stick vinyl tile flooring. This was probably the easiest project to date.

I used Trafficmaster Ceramica resilient tile flooring purchased from Home Depot. I first cleaned and sanded the floor with a belt sander. The Home Depot web site says that you definitely needed to use a floor primer or the tiles will not stay stuck down. Other web sites including the manufacturer merely alluded to the availability of a primer.

The primer is water thin and i put it on with a roller and brush. The primer drying time was 90 minutes. The tiles felt good going down. they really went down securely. I feel confident i have a good installation.

One little set back so here is the tip if the day. YOU CANNOT CUT THIS STUFF WITH A UTILITY KNIFE as the directions and all of the web sites claim.

This stuff is thick and tough. :thumbdown:

I did my cuts on the radial arm saw and the couple of tricky cuts i did on the router table with a straight bit. :thinking: :thumbsup:

I have just 2 weekends to wrap this project up. Thanksgiving week me and the doggies will be in the North Georgia mountains.

all that is left is to reinstall the cabinet doors and install the mini-blinds. :applause:

Peter Spirito
www.peterspirito.com
pmspirito
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions