CT conversion design ideas

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby Prem » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:32 am

:thinking:
I'm thinking about eliminating the bunks altogether, which makes me wonder why I would do a cargo conversion to sleep two instead of a "real" teardrop. I am toying with the idea of building a modified Campster12 instead, with a porta potti cabinet and storage instead of the bunks.

Sheila,

Campster 12 is nice for sure. I built one roughly along those lines that was 6 wide, 5 high and 12 long. Used it hardly ever. Cramped! I'm 5'8" and I got claustrophobic in it. (Or was I just annoyed?) My lesson learned: Give me a standie any day! :thumbsup: Hence my cargo trailer conversion. (See my photos on this board under "My 12 foot FEATHERLITE Conversion.")

Benefits of cargo trailer:
1. Standing headroom and interior volume all useful and abundant (but not in 5-wides). You can order them with up to 7 feet of interior height
2. Exterior already built and needs no maintenance
3. No complicated, built-in galley aft (Ok, I put an exterior "galley" on my cargo.)
4. The entire rear opens up

Benefits of a teardrop:
1. Aerodynamics! Get better mileage towing than not towing, often
2. Coolness/head-spinning factor
3. At teardrop gatherings you aren't looked upon as an outsider/mutant/party crasher (LOL! I partially jest.) After all, it's suppose to be T&TTT!
4. Fits in your garage

When in doubt, all things equal, flip a coin. :worship: Hope you make the right decision for you. (It ain't easy. I'm on my 9th modified or home-built rig.)

Love your brain and Do-It-Yourself, go-getter attitude.
:cheerswine:
Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby sheila » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks Prem. I've thought about those things, more or less, and you're right--it's a tough decision! The only things I know for sure are that I'm tired of sleeping in a tent and I'm really tired of loading and unloading the car every other weekend. I also want to finish the inside myself so it fits my needs and taste. One reason I won't buy a camper is because I loathe MDF, I strongly dislike "traditional" style decorating, and frankly I think the quality sucks.

A teardrop would fill my needs, but I'm concerned about the time it would take to build one from scratch. I looked at buying a cargo version of a commercially built teardrop, but I keep thinking that if I'm going to spend $5k or so and then finish the inside, I may as well get something a little bigger so the kids can sleep in it.

Oh, and about the position of the door--I thought I would find out how far it is from the front of the trailer and if they can't move it, then I would install my own. However, I looked at trailer doors online the other day and I had no idea they were so expensive.

In the meantime, I'm still playing with CAD until I come up with something that really speaks to me.
sheila
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Prem » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Oh, and about the position of the door--I thought I would find out how far it is from the front of the trailer and if they can't move it, then I would install my own. However, I looked at trailer doors online the other day and I had no idea they were so expensive.

Sheila,

Read my other posts. Type "Prem" in the search feature at the top of this page.

Somewhere I talked about getting used RV doors from RV repair shops and installing them in cargo trailers. Incredible deals. New or like new often. ($25 to $100) You have to cut the bottom of the door shorter to fit a cargo, but it's not that hard to do. Also, check out what "oside trailer" (Pete) did (Member Designs forum). He rocks!...albeit, he spent a lot of time modifying a flat bed utility trailer. (Reuse beats buying new!...err...okay...I bought the Featherlite cargo trailer new, but I got it for free from selling my almost-free-to-me teardrop with change left over. You can see it in the Hall of Fame collection. Click above, upper left.)

Get even more insight from others here. :beautiful: These boards are an awesome learning experience. Ideas and shortcuts will pop up into your head.

If you want to go camping THIS year, instead of spending months building from scratch, a cargo is the answer. :DOH2: Just throw 6 milk crates in it and a sheet of plywood on top for the bed and go camping one night. You'll get exact layout/floor plan ideas immediately!

If you go with a cargo, V-nose construction is tops, i.e. THE sturdiest, most waterproof, most spacious and most aerodynamic. (I've posted more than once on this issue.) Check it out.

I am SO looking forward to the photos of what you get and what you do to it!

Best,
:shake hands:
Prem

P.S. It's okay to emote here. Emoticons... :D spruce up the fun.
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions