6 by 12 with gally

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby james worley » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 pm

More progress. Check out album for more pics Image
james worley
Teardrop Master

Postby janand » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Proper one bro....
You done really nice work. Much impress from this work. Look perfect and brilliant. Nice for sharing pictures. Great job.
janand
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Loader » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:55 am

Looking good James. Plenty of storage in the galley!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby d30gaijin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

James,

A very nice build you've got going, excellent workmanship.

I hope you don't find, like we did, that a large bed in a CT eats up all the room inside and have to remodel after your first camping trip. I suspect that won't be the case with you since you appear to come from a teardrop camping background, something I don't.

We are building a 6x10 CT and made a very nice and comfortable large double bed only to find on the first outing that the bed ate up all the usable living/sitting space inside and we were crammed in when the weather turned ugly. Our galley is inside in the front area of our CT so, with 2 less feet of space than you have, well we ended up with about 2 1/2 feet of space to move around in. Not a very pleasant outing.

Thankfully I designed our CT so that the big double bed was completely removable using E-Track hardware to anchor it to the sidewalls of the CT. The reason for that is we also wanted to be able to get our Harley inside. After that first outing it became clear that our original design wasn't going to cut it for us. Thankfully it was an easy redesign to build a pair of crosswise bunk-beds in the aft end of the CT i.e., butted up against the rear doors (the bunk-beds are also removable to get the Harley in, again thanks to the E-Track hardware system). The only thing not removable in our CT is the forward galley area, but that only takes up the space of the rounded forward area.

Christi likes to bird watch so it was quickly realized after our first outing that we really needed to have room in our CT to sit at a table and work on our laptops, she for birding research and me for photo processing. On a subsequent outing we again ran into rather foul weather and found ourselves stuck inside the CT and thankful for the bunk-bed redesign that freed up a good bit of room to set up a folding table and chairs in the CT and still have room to cook in the galley with sufficient room to move around inside out of the weather.

Again, different camping styles come into play. If the weather is foul in the evening we prefer to be inside since we spend most of the day (foul weather or not) out birding/hiking. We also prefer to cook inside in any weather except when we want to BBQ or Dutch oven cook. We tend to travel light so don't usually set up overhead tarps or free-standing overhead covers. We keep most of our stuff inside the CT (generator is the exception) so that we can pack and be back on the road on short notice should the mood strike us. We're really getting into boondocking, hence the desire to keep the CT light, self contained, and ready to move to a new spot.

Once again, you have a very nice build going and I will be following it closely in hopes of getting some ideas and watching your progress.

Please keep in mind that what is said in the above is offered simply for what it's worth... and as is often said, "Free advice is worth exactly what is paid for it." :)

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby james worley » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:51 pm

ImageGetting closer to being finished
james worley
Teardrop Master

Postby Loader » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 am

Nice sign James. :lol:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:39 pm

I need a sign like that for my No-Tell Motel
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby james worley » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 pm

I think i am finished just load up and head to beavers bend.I put a few more pics in album.

James
james worley
Teardrop Master

Postby d30gaijin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 pm

James,

What a beautiful build! Congratulations! And thank you for sharing the excellent photos with us. :applause:

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions